Least aggressive gun CLP (allergies, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which gun CLP is known for the least amount of allergic reactions?

BF CLP is outta the question. I think I started to develop a reaction to this stuff early on and never realized it.

Have a look at Clenzoil, Ballistol, and M-Pro 7. Ballistol claims to be non-toxic, as does M-Pro 7.

Nitrile gloves are your friend; I buy them by the case off ebay for about $7/100.

Luck!

Robert

Do you wear nitrile gloves while shooting?

Some of the product vaporizes while shooting, or squirts out of the rifle, or comes into contact with your skin.

I'll check out the products you mentioned, thanks!

Try FP-10, either the Shooter's Choice version or straight from their website. FP10 CLP They claim you can drink the stuff.
cheers.gif

MPro7 gun cleaner has no smell and is considered one of the safest gun cleaners you can use. You can easily use it indoors. They also make a synthetic gun oil.

I have heard that they make a CLP but I have never used it.

Hoppes Elite gun cleaner/bore gel is a very good cleaner. It's alot like MPro. No solvents, just a powerful soap that does all the cleaning. No odors, either.

I had gone to the doctors and gotten some meds for the skin rashes and I decided to try BF CLP again after 3-4 weeks of nothing really happening. I think its definitely something in the BF CLP - either the propellant or the decomposition of components that causes my skin to itch.

I stopped using it and everything's fine again.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I had gone to the doctors and gotten some meds for the skin rashes and I decided to try BF CLP again after 3-4 weeks of nothing really happening. I think its definitely something in the BF CLP - either the propellant or the decomposition of components that causes my skin to itch.

I stopped using it and everything's fine again.

So now the BF CLP is not harming you? Are you going to stick with it? You could try FP10 but you know how they hype and their rust protection is not good. I'd try Ballistol, seems like good stuff!

Read it again. Something in the BF CLP is DEFINITELY causing my skin to itch. Either the propellant, or the decomposition of some of the components when exposed to air.

Because when my rifles and other parts are treated with BF CLP and left alone for a few days, I can touch them w/o a skin reaction. It's only upon spraying the aerosol BF CLP that causes my skin to react.

FP-10, Slip 2000 CLP, and 3-in-1 Silicone Spray seem to play along fine with my skin.

Sorry to hear of your problems metroplex. It could be a propellant or volitile oil or scent that you are sensitised to, since it dissapates. There is only one way to find the right product...trial & error. That's just the way it is with allergies. Doesn't matter if it's natural or not. I have dealt with allergies alot in my field. You can do a test by applying a very small amt. to a specific area and wait. If it's a compound you are currently senitized to you'll know it soon enough. Good luck!!!

I think it would have to be MPro7. This gun cleaner is supposed to be very safe and does not seem to have a scent that I can detect. You can use it indoors because it is so safe.

Ballistol may be safe but it smells terrible. In some ways the smell is like licorice and in some ways it smells like dirty socks. It is kind of hard to describe. You have to smell it for yourself. Some people say that to men it smells like licorice and to women it smells like dirty socks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back