Latest Corrosion Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
FP-10, Militec-1, Slip 2000 Gun Lube CLP, RemOil, and Outers Gun Oil all did not pass my corrosion test.

They all showed major corrosion after the test.

aerosol BreakFree CLP with the clear straw seems to have better protection than the aerosol BreakFree CLP w/ the red straw... which showed a few spots of rust when using a Epsom + Iodized salt water bath.

Procedure:

1). Mix 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt with 2 tablespoons of Iodized Salt in a large red dixie cup (the one you use for beer at parties).

2). Mix with plenty of hot tap water and stir thoroughly to dissolve all crystals.

3). Prep iron nails for testing by sanding it all with sandpaper (60-80 grit is recommended) and degreasing with brake cleaner or other suitable degreaser.

4). Handle the prepped nails with gloves at all times.

5). Mark/tag the nails with the product you wish to use.

6). Apply the product and wipe off the excess and repeat. You do not want a thick layer of product on the metal sample becuase you do not slobber on any type of product on your rifle.

7). Dip into the bath and wait 3 hours. Stir the bath occaisonally.

8). After 3 hours, remove samples and lay them on a paper napkin and air dry. Do not wash or otherwise touch the metals until they're relatively dry.

9). Note the results.

The nails treated with FP-10 and Slip 2000 immediately showed dark patches on the metal which eventually turned into rust. I tried 2 different samples of FP-10 with the same exact results.

From my own testing, only BF CLP and Supertech Dexron III/Mercon ATF provide the best corrosion protection.

Isn't that to be somewhat expected? After all CLP is used to maintain and preserve some pretty expensive equipment. It was drilled into us that only CLP should be used maintaining the howitzer unless it was winter in which case arctic gun oil was used in the final wipedown of the breach block, extractor and firing lock. Some of the old dogs would use SAE 30 in the tube if it was goin to be awhile before the next use. I don't think this was necessary. In any case detergent and water was used to remove all traces of oil from the tube before firing. Any lube CLP or otherwise affected consist muzzle velocity.

Yes I expected as much.

Its just that I'm a member of AR15.com, Gunsnet and they're convinced FP-10, Slip 2000 CLP, and a myriad of other products are "better" than BreakFree CLP.

However, they also all claim to exceed MIL-STD-63460D which is the military spec for CLP. Revision E is slated to come out soon...

And the funnier part is that none of them meet the QPL (Qualifying Products List) for 63460D which means none of them actually passed 63460D when tested by the government. Some of these products have been around since the 80s and only recently did they start qualifying for the products. My guess is that because of 9/11, Afghanistan, and Iraq - they're trying to cash in by selling to the troops directly and hoping that they'll grab a great following and earn $$$. I have no problems with that but if you look at their test results, it raises some BS flags.

Anyhow, I think a lot of the problems soldiers experience in the field with CLP and rifle malfunctions are due to excessive use of the product, improper cleaning, and improper training. I was told to use only a THIN coat of the product on parts (bolt carrier to upper receiver surfaces, bolt rotating surfaces, lugs, etc...) and nothing thick or slobbered on.

So you're right, its trusted to protect the rifleman's first line of defense. I just chose to use the Walmart BreakFree CLP as a reference and it appears to hold its own. It's readily available and the least expensive of all the products tested.
smile.gif

My test cannot replace the salt fog spray test outlined in 63460D but its a test nonetheless and when someone else replicated the test TW-25B even showed corrosion.

As previously posted.... I recommended CLP to a department that I used to work in that had a lot of bare metal tools, and they used it for years, until finding that EEZOX (?) worked even better. EEZOX also does a bit better in some of the lube tests of different gun oils that I've seen, but it also seems to have a thicker film so it probably won't work as well around lots of dust and sand.

One of the Navy facilties tested popular 'better than CLP' products and found that they not only provided less corrosion protection, they also resulted in more jams.

Crane NSWC (Naval Surface Warfare Center) in Indiana does a LOT of small arms related tests there - almost more than the Army. Whatever they found would be certainly valid.

I'm trying to get a small sample of Eezox to do my own tests, but can you wipe off the excess to get a super thin layer (ala CLP) and still get adequate corrosion protection?

Thanks for sharing your test results, metroplex. I've used the aerosol BreakFree CLP for years and it's always performed well for me, but I never performed an objective test to prove it's capabilities. Thanks again.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I'm trying to get a small sample of Eezox to do my own tests, but can you wipe off the excess to get a super thin layer (ala CLP) and still get adequate corrosion protection?

Yes. In fact, the instructions on the bottle say to apply only a very thin layer. If too thick of a layer is applied, then it doesn't dry properly and leaves a gummi residue. When applied properly it dries "to the touch" with no residue.

Gun Tests did a similar test and got the same results, break-free ClP was almost impervious to corrosion

Do you happen to have a link or copy of the Gun Tests report? This would be excellent reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back