How effective is Hoppe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
How effective is plain ol' Hoppe's gun cleaner? Is it as good as anything else on the market, including the expensive stuff?

And how effective is Hoppe's gun oil?

All I use is Hoppes on my guns. The bore solvent is great stuff, and their oil is awesome. My brother and his business partner, who is a gun smith and has a manufacturing license, uses Hoppes on very expensive machine guns.

It is fine for removeing powder reside. The standard formula will not remove copper fouling or plastic fouling! If you want to remove copper fouling and plastic fouling I preffer stronger cleaners with higher concentrations of Amonia like Shooters Choice. After the gun is clean lightly oil. SOme guys like silicone spray as well. Stay away from WD40 as it is worthless for preventing corrission and will gum up.

How's Shooters Choice smell? I know it sounds silly, but No.9 has a 'good' smell to me. Other than the lightheadedness i sometimes get when in a confined room, it doesn't bother me.

ferb!

Actually I have always liked the smell of Hoppe's No. 9. It just seems to smell good to me. I have tried Firepower FP10 and it also has an unusual but kind of nice smell.

The only gun cleaners and gun oils that have impressed me are good ol' Hoppe's, Firepower FP10, and MPro7. MPro7 seems to work pretty good (the cleaner and the oil) but is expensive and hard to find. I am thinking about cleaning guns with Hoppe's and then lubricating with Firepower FP10, or else MPro7 gun oil. MPro7 cleaner works really good-maybe too good, even though it is safe. Firepower FP10 is supposed to clean, protect, and lubricate, but I have not used it yet as a cleaner. Hoppe's No. 9 is a good cleaner and I like the smell. There really is no gun oil that I feel is really great but MPro7 gun oil and Firepower FP10 seem pretty good. I think products like Militec are over-rated.

I used to use Hoppe's untill I tried many other's and I think Outer's nitro solvent works the best. It will not harm wood finishes or any metal finish and will get al types of fouling out! Hoppe's oil is great but CLP Breakfree is the best on the market. It will never gum up and cleans and protects 100%. CLP is the only oil to be used on M16's/AR-15's in the military.

A great, highly regarded product that I've been using lately is EEZOX. They claim it's a CLP type of product; light enough to be an effective gun cleaner and then the volatiles evaporate leaving a non-gummy, protective residue.

I still clean my guns initially with GunScrubber to get as much of the abrasive fouling off. I then go over the gun thoroughly with Hoppe's No. 9 Semi-Auto solvent (no ammonia, safe for nickel). A final blast of GunScrubber to remove the solvent residue and then a generous swabbing with EEZOX. I put enough EEZOX on the gun so that it leaves a very light protective film on the gun surface. And BTW, EEZOX has a really pleasant smell, I absolutely love working with it!

I find the gun care product with the most "delicious" smell to be Kleen-Bore gun oil; it smells like apple pie to me!!
fruit.gif

I have not used Kleen-Bore for so long that I can't remember how it smells. It seemed to clean pretty well. Maybe I will try it again.

It would be nice being able to find a readily available gun cleaner and gun oil that do really good jobs. Hoppe's is pretty good. The various cleaners seem to work pretty good, but I have never been totally impressed with a gun oil.

HER IS A GOOD GUN CLEANER SCHAEFFER’S HAS TWO PRODUCTS THAT WHEN PUT TOGETHER WORK BETTER THAN ANYTHING OUT THERE IF YOU TAKE PENETRO 90 AND 131 NEUTRA FUEL STABILIZER AT 4 TO 1 IT MAKES ONE KILLER GUN CLEANER AND LUBE. CLEANING IS DONE BY THE NEUTRA IT WILL NEUTRALIZES THE ACIDS FORMED BY THE BURNING OF THE GUN POWDER AND WILL INHIBIT OXIDATION. LUBE PENETRO 90 WILL STAY PUT ON THE GUN IT WILL FORM A PROTECTIVE SHIELD AGAINST MOISTURE THAT WILL LAST ON THE GUN FOR MORE THAN 6 MONTHS
4 PARTS PENETRO 90 TO 1 PART NEUTRA

I don't know about the Penetro 90 on guns-it might get into primers. But here is a question-can Neutra be used to clean guns? They charge so much for these gun cleaners if Neutra could be used it would save money. I think I will pose this question,

BTW - EEZOX will not affect primers:

quote:

Synthetic EEZOX Premium Gun Care is a total gun-care system with ONE PRODUCT for all guns. This includes black powder guns. Since EEZOX is not petroleum based, it will not affect the seasoning of a muzzleloader bore. EEZOX enables your firearm to function as designed by the manufacturer.

* Cleans, lubricates and protects - EEZOX DOES IT ALL

* Eliminates stiff actions, jamming and residue build-up

* Harmless to powders and primers

* Non-flammable (not a petroleum based product)

* Dry to the touch on guns in use or stored

* Functions from +450F to -95F

Also:
quote:

Synthetic EEZOX Premium Gun Care with only 0.42 - 0.45 mil film thickness achieved a Peak Load "pass" of 4,500 lbs. This load factor far exceeds pressures found in any firearm, including full automatic machine guns. Falex tested by ASTM D-3233 procedures (Mil Spec requires only 1,000 lbs.)

Of couse, this is what I pulled from their website.

All I can say is that I have no complaints with EEZOX, the stuff works great.

Shooters Choice smells like smelling salts! It chemicaly breaks gilding metal and copper fouling free fromthe steel. Ammonia will not hurt modern gun barrel steels!

JB, what is your definition of modern steels? I have several rifels and shotguns that are 50-100 years old. Will ammonia harm theses?

I used Hoppes for years till I ran across KG1 systems carbon remover. It doesn't contain any ammonia, but from what I see of the barrels after running it through it doesn't need any.I also use KG2 bore restorer when I need to really get things clean.

Scott

[ February 16, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Scotto ]

There are a lot of good cleaners out there. Hoppes is on the mild side but that isn't bad if the bore is in great shape and the gun doesn't get particularly dirty.

Some guns shoot great with dozens of rounds down the tube and others lose accuracy after 15 rounds. Test each gun you have to find when it needs to be cleaned.

FWIW I use Shooters Choice for most of my cleaning and Sweets 7.62 when I need to get the gilding metal/Cu out. Break Free CLP and Tetra make 2 of my favorite gun oils.

cheers.gif

JohnBrowning, you are wrong about Hoppes not removing plastic fouling. Hoppes is the only thing I use to clean my bores and it removes the plastic no problem.

Hoppes #9 also removes copper...jsut not as quickly as Shooters Choice or Sweets.

I use home made Ed's Red on the powder, then when I'm getting clean patches, run a hoppes #9 though it.

Leave in the safe over night, and push the blue/green gunge out of it, and tidy up with Ed's Red.

Then another Hoppes #9 patch over the next night.

Usually comes out clean, then I just lube with Ed's Red (with lanolin) and leave until next time.

I like Hoppes #9 but as other have said it's not very aggressive. Their Bench Rest solvent works much better on copper and it can stay in the barrel a while with no ill effects. I'm hesitant to use anything that's too strong just in case I don't get all of it out for one reason or another...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back