keep 50wt racing oil after 3-hrs. of trackdays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil & filter to Valvoline VR1 SAE 50 Racing Oil, one day prior to my three (3) day high-speed driving event in the "advanced" class, which equates to approx. 3-hours of flat-out driving and under 100-miles. The oil also looks very clean.

I live in north Florida, so the temps are above 70-F during this time of the year, and are easily between high-80's and mid-90's during the day.

Should I change out my oil & filter again, or would you keep running it for another 1500-miles ?

I heard that "Racing Oil" doesn't have the high-detergents of "normal" oil.

Valvoline VR1:
http://www.valvoline.com/products/V...Motor Oil.pdf
Single-weight is also "ashless".

If the expense isn't too great, you could take the sure way and change it. I have a shalom racer and, for grins did a uoa after a weekend of about 12-15 passes around the track. There is not a lot of warm up time and a lap was about 1 minute. The oil had a lot of iron in it. I was glad I changed it. Since then, I've hooked up a Frantz toilet paper filter to a pump and a 5 gallon container and run the oil through there. It cleans all the junk out of the oil, and I just put it back. Been using that oil plus some makeup for several years. So far so good. And a uoa found only 15ppm of Fe, good enough for me.

If your only going to run it another 1500 miles, it sound like a good plan. As it's a syn., it should clean better than the average dino oil anyway.
Smell it on dip stick once. If it really smells bad, then change it.
If it smells 'normal' wait a while to change.

My 2¢

I pit for a dirt track late model racer. I change the oil every Monday after racing Friday, Saturday, and Sundays. Nothing but Amsoil goes into the engine and it's run at WOT for about 30 minutes each raceday including the qualifiers and feature event.

I don't know what kind of racing you do but seems to me like it would be cheap insurance to change the oil often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back