Nascar

Status
Not open for further replies.
A) nothing you can buy off the shelf
B) parctice xW-30 oils
C) qualifying 0W-5 to 0W-10 oils
D) Race xW-30, maybe a 10W-40 for short tracks.

The oil almost never spends more than one heat cycle in the engine. But then, there are only 5 heat cycles in the engine between rebuilds.

Kevin Harvick Inc uses mobil 1 15-50 for practice and Joe Gibbs 30weight racing oil for racing in their RCR engines. You can buy the oil and wix filters right off the shelf, but you won't get it for the same price.
I was at KHI in Kernersville NC the day of the Darlington Busch race. I saw both brands of oil and asked my buddy (who is a shop foreman) which oil is used for what.
snoboy

Actually, I hear that 0w-2 is a popular qualifying oil viscosity. I guess that NASCAR is doing beta testing for the next generation street cars. After all, NASCAR, with their carbs, restrictor plates, live axles is a place were they develop up to the date engineering. That why the factories pay the major bucks.

what a coincidence. tomorrow at work (black & decker/dewalt) is product awareness day and matt kenseth will be there. ill ask his crew chief and report back tomorrow.

quote:

Originally posted by Vuser:
Eagerly awaiting.
smile.gif
His, Mark Martin's, and Greg Biffle's are the only Roush cars I pull for now.

I think Roush has a whole stable of pretty class drivers. Edwards and McMurray seem like they are both pretty nice down to earth guys. McMurray needs better results, but at least he isn't an arrogant idiot like Busch was.

well unfortunatly the crew chief wasnt there. it was just kenseth so i figured he wouldnt know a thing about the motor, didnt even bother to get his autograph. my mom said he was a real **** last year so i didnt feel like talking to him if he was gonna be like that. but i did get Richard Karn's (Al from Home Improvement) autograph, he was a pretty cool guy. he was joking around with the people there.

Vuser: Agree with you their. Mark, Matt and Greg are all class acts. I would love to see Mark win the championship this year. He has had too many accomplishments in his career to end it without a Cup title.

With the new "inpound" rules, do the teams still get to change the oil after qualifying?

In the past they could run a "hot" qualifying engine that they used a super thin oil in. Then they would change out to a race motor for the race and use a thicker oil.

For the past couple of years they have a "one engine rule". I was told they quit using the super thin oil for qualifying, since they had to run the same engine for practice, quals and the race.

Now this year with the inpound rules they pretty much cant touch the car after qualifying. I was wondering if nascar allowed the teams to change the oil.

Pretty sure they can change the oil even during impound races. They have these weird rules like you can do up X amount of rounds of wedge and stuff. Pretty sure they change the tires and bleed the brakes and stuff.

Here is a basic list of "can's and cannot's" regarding the Nextel Cup impound rules

Teams May:
1. Plug in oil heater (if teams use a generator, it must remain outside the garage);
2. Open hood;
3. Prime oil system;
4. Back car out of garage to start;
5. Turn master switch on;
6. Open oil cooler bypass valve (optional)’
7. Start engine;
8. Close hood;
9. Set tire pressure;
10. Torque wheels;
11. Install radio and water bottle;
12. Remove or repair tape on front of car (i.e. grille, valance, brake ducts.); and
13. If applicable, BST or Pi Research may replace equipment batteries under NASCAR supervision.

Teams May NOT:
1. Enter the garage without a NASCAR Official present;
2. Jack up any part of the car;
3. Add water or pressurize the cooling system;
4. Climb inside the car;
5. Adjust wedge bolts, shocks or sway bars;
6. Add fuel, oil or brake fluid;
7. Remove air box; or
8. Adjust fenders, spoiler or any body components.

Quote:

Maybe I'm naive, but what typ of oil do these cars use?

Nascar Advertising is like dogs in the street fighting for space.
fakery is what it is all about, ask Bobby Unser, he raced with Texaco decal's and didn't use Texaco oil in his whole car...
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back