Mobil 1 Lubricants Deliver Boost to Mercedes-Benz V8 Engine of Team McLaren Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive. I guess if Mobile 1 is good enough for a racecar, it's more than good enough for my 3.1L GM too. I wonder what viscosity they use? Probably the new 5W30 T&SUV to handle those extreme conditions.

Here's what really sold me though (2nd to last sentence of the article):
quote:

ExxonMobil recognises [sic] that business success and social responsibility go hand in hand: to governments, communities and societies where they operate, ExxonMobil pledges to maintain the highest ethical standards, comply with local laws and respect local and national cultures.

cheers.gif

Clearly not the same stuff sold at the retail level, but the track is the testing ground for what eventually trickles down to the consumer. Same case with Shell probably.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken E.:
What did Michael Schumacher have in his Ferrari?

Shell Helix Ultra. Shell and Ferrari have been partners in racing for quite some time.

I think it could be 0W-30 Mobil1 "Racing Oil," which I don't think they retail anymore. I once read 0W-30 did not have any detergent additive, so it didn't meet current oil-specs for street legal cars...

Reading this post and the link to Mobil Racing, I miss Doug Hillary's, learned comments from the Land of OZ. Doug, I hope you are happy and in good health and humor.

G'Day Mate!
cheers.gif

ah lets see, an article on ExxonMobil's website, people apparently speaking are highly paid as a result of Mobil1's advertising on the side of their car and on their race suits, tractor trailers, etc..... . What did you really expect them to say ?. I'd kiss their *** just as much if they put some decent money into my race team in a sport that is outrageously expensive and teams need all te sponsors they can get. no brainer. I still think Mobil1 is a good oil and I have run it for years, but the fact that they use and recommend it means nothing to me. Reads like a late-night infomercial to me.
smile.gif

Along with the contract to merdeces.. comes an agreement to adevetise. Lo and behold the link.. simple advertisement for mobil.

to think they are using oil that they would sell to the population.. you've got to be joking.
lol.gif

There is absolutely no chance that the oil in the Merc engine is off the shelf M1 of any designation or grade. It may very well be assembled from the same base oils that are used to assemble some of the M1 products that do get to the shelves, but the add package will be significantly different.

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch Alsup:
There is absolutely no chance that the oil in the Merc engine is off the shelf M1 of any designation or grade. It may very well be assembled from the same base oils that are used to assemble some of the M1 products that do get to the shelves, but the add package will be significantly different.

I agree. Just as Shell does for Ferrari, I'm sure Mobil develops specific formulas and viscosities for individual races, and none of them are over the counter Mobil 1 products.

A tech writer in France characterized the M1 oil in Formula 1 as a 0w-2 and said that there was a base oil with additives at the track that may get modified during Friday practice while setting up the car for qualifying and the race. The chance that you can buy that oil for any price does not exist. The oil probably gets changed from race to race.

quote:

The oil probably gets changed from race to race.

Actually, the oil gets changed every practice session, changed for qualifying, again for the race (slightly heavier oil for race than for qualifying), and again before putting the motor back on the truck (for its second race).

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch Alsup:

quote:

The oil probably gets changed from race to race.

Actually, the oil gets changed every practice session, changed for qualifying, again for the race (slightly heavier oil for race than for qualifying), and again before putting the motor back on the truck (for its second race).

He11, I'm suprised they have not found a way to change it during the race on one of their 5 second fuel/pit stops!
lol.gif

We have run Mobil 1 in all our race cars for 6 years now without any failures. I really like the stuff, right off the shelf. This is the third season on one engine and it looks great inside. I would not switch, and they don't give us a **** thing. We race on dirt with three cars,all sbc, 425h.p., 475h.p.,500h.p.

Do not use Mobil 1 if you have a big turbo in your car, it will coke the center bearing/shaft. This is from experience and 2 ruined K-27 turbo's center sections we didnt know what problem was till we discovered the mess. We now use German 'green' Castrol Syntec for 30k miles and no coking on inspection. This not a prop for Castrol, just a problem Mobil has on stressed turbo cars. Also I have had excellent results on Pure Power dino juice. We were lucky on both failures - we heard the noises before they puked into the intake tract.
Rod
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by s4audinut:
Do not use Mobil 1 if you have a big turbo in your car, it will coke the center bearing/shaft. This is from experience and 2 ruined K-27 turbo's center sections we didnt know what problem was till we discovered the mess. We now use German 'green' Castrol Syntec for 30k miles and no coking on inspection. This not a prop for Castrol, just a problem Mobil has on stressed turbo cars. Also I have had excellent results on Pure Power dino juice. We were lucky on both failures - we heard the noises before they puked into the intake tract.
Rod
shocked.gif

You sure that's a problem with M1 and not with the K27? Cause I have no problems with my TD04 turbo on my saab.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back