NASCAR question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question popped into my head as I was driving to work today: Is a NASCAR car considered a unibody construction or is it considered a body-on-frame contruction? I know they use a tubular frame but other than that, I am ignorant. Thanks guys!

A NASCAR car (or truck) is a tubular roll cage that happens to have supspension and engine mounting points. The body is hand hammered sheet metal that looks vaguly like the production cars.

BTW since 04 all the body pannels on Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, and Dodge are the same (aero reasons) and the visual differences are mostly in the decals.

If you watch the IROC races, you see the future race cars of NASCAR. The "Car of the Future" is a universal chasis and body. The only difference will be what engine powers the car. NASCAR has become PC, making sure no one manufacture has an advantage.

I thought F1 was full of stupid rules and regulations, but NASCAR is out doing them in the "stuck on stupid" department.

A couple of years ago, I was watching some NASCAR testing from Daytona. There was no paint or decals on the cars and you could not tell a Ford from a Chevy from a Dodge. The only way you knew what car was what was from the driver's number.

Sad, very sad.

I still can't understand why people like this rap. Basically the cars have the technology of a barn door. And the "good ole boys" isn't fooling anybody. I mean if you really wanted to keep cost down and make it accessable to everyone why not make everyone use some kind of crate engine that has to meet certain specs.

I think the best racing is AMA Superstock, you basically use a factory stock bike with only very minor mods allowed. The great thing is this really caused the fatories to put out better and better products every year.

NASCRAP does nothing for the factories instead of take the money, if gives them nothing back in terms of R&D.

prollem is, that when you go for "series production", you can end up with genuine race cars on the street.

I don't think that they "homologate" a great deal of race parephenalia these days.

Look at Oz V-8 supercars...even the chev engined holdens run a ford 9" diff.

I preferred it when NASCAR used different makes of cars, and had the basic construction of a street car.
It is now a stratospheric endeavor, only accessed by millionaires.
Sure, cars are faster, but it is all relative.

Carbureted engiens, leaded gasoline and 1960's truck-style rear suspensions have little bearing on anything "stock" that you can buy at a dealership.

I much prefer race series that use cars that really are based (somewhat) on something that I can buy, but no one else seems to think the same way, so you don't see much TV coverage.

The German DTM series and British/Australian Touring Cars are great, IMHO.

I propse a series where cars are driven straight from the dealership to the track, with minimal prep. But that'll never happen outside of an autocross course.

The trouble with trying to make Nascar a street car series is simple. What cars would you run? Most sedans are FWD now and carry V6's. Watching them on a superspeedway would be like watching paint dry. Oil based paint.

I liked it much better back before it became a "sport" too, but the cars they ran then are long gone.

Sorry for the DP...
frown.gif

And what does it mean when they say a certain team is running Fords or another team is using Chevys? What makes a Ford or a Chevy in this sport...the block? Or is it the sticker on the grill? It seems they promote this Ford-Chevy-Dodge rivalry to get the good ole boys excited about "their" make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back