Anyone want to race this diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly, I think Cummins supplied an engine for the Indy 500 back in the fifties. I also think it sat on the pole. Rubber and dirt ingestion on the low mounted intake took it out of the race.

To answer your original question, it appears that other racers are reluctant to race against it.

Emissions that hit the vehicles folowing it are a recent cause for concern, with some competing teams wondering about the health effects of following it around for 24 hours. This despite emissions-reducing technology, which is unheard-of, really, for a race car.

Correct, Fatboymoe. Cummins diesels were in more than one Indy 500 in the '50's. Autoweek ran an article on it a few weeks ago. I'll bet anyone interested can still find the article on autoweek.com

robbster, I suspect the main reason anyone is concerned with health effects of that car's emissions as opposed to all the other cars' emissions is that they're already feeling sick about how many laps behind they'll be when the checkered flag falls.
wink.gif

Maybe this will help America embrace diesels more. Anything can help. LOL if they would make a diesel nascar maybe then America would start getting the diesels in vehicles the rest of the world gets especially Europe. I was reading about the new jeep wrangler will have a diesel in the international market but they did not mention north america.
frown.gif
That would be awesome to have a diesel in a jeep rubicon!! I hope Audi does well this season with that engine.

NASCAR still runs leaded fuel, and have resisted the switch to unleaded for years (though they will switch within the next few years).

Methinks they would be less-than-eager to embrace diesel.

Hopefully, once clean (low sulfur) diesel comes online here, we'll see alot more diesel autos here.

As far as the fuel for CART and IRL goes, it has to have the property that when sprayed with (or doused with) water that any fire will go out. Therefore, gasoline and diesel are off the (fuel) table.

You can see the R10 in its racing debut this Saturday at the 12 Hours of Sebring which will air on SPEED Channel.

i bet the nascar's run too much compression to use a readily available unleaded fuel. they would have to have a custom blend created. i wonder what the max octane of an unleaded fuel is? the most i know of is 105 (R+M/2). anyone know what kind of compression a nascar engine runs?

i hope that the R10 does well, even though im not big on VW/Audi. if people here can see the potential of a diesel engine and maybe we can get a few more over here.

Lead is just a cheap octane booster.

You can add any number of things to increase octane, toluene is one, there are others.

NASCAR is just reluctant to change. They are the last to let go of lead. Their compression ratios arent out of line with any other series with "built-to-race" engines.

nhra still uses leaded fuel. there is no unleaded fuel that is allowed in a class that has fuel specs, (stock, super stock, comp, pro stock, etc.)

See the R10 race today in the 12 Hours of Sebring on SPEED. May I suggest you also watch Corvettes, Saleens, Aston Martins, Porsches, Panozes, Lolas, Spykers, Courages, Mazdas, BMWs, Ferraris, etc.
grin.gif

Showtimes:
10:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
2:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
7:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.

what does that gto run? i dont think i would run it with our vega. the vega runs low 10s. i bet it would eat me alive.

Dont worry friend...they had it on Bravo channel the other day...The GTO runs low 10's high 9's...that car runs low 11's per the TV...need to keep the turbos spooled up or it dont make squat....

wow, im surprised its that slow in the quarter. all of a sudden im not as impressed with the car. the motor yes, but the rest of the package not really.

I read that its predecessor, the R8, could stop from 180 mph in 4 seconds.

So, you'll beat him in the 1/4, but if he challenges you to race a complete lap back via the return road, his superior brakes and cornering ability will win out.

Of course, he'll never pull the front wheels off the line, will he?
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XB70:
Of course, he'll never pull the front wheels off the line, will he?
grin.gif

nope, and that is probably one of the most fun part of the quarter mile run.

quote:

Originally posted by racer12306:
i bet the nascar's run too much compression to use a readily available unleaded fuel. they would have to have a custom blend created. i wonder what the max octane of an unleaded fuel is? the most i know of is 105 (R+M/2). anyone know what kind of compression a nascar engine runs?

i hope that the R10 does well, even though im not big on VW/Audi. if people here can see the potential of a diesel engine and maybe we can get a few more over here.

http://www.proracingfuels.com/Product_MARK5.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back