Oil Pressure Dropped at Track at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my car to a roadcourse this past weekend and my engine died when I came into the pits after driving the car pretty hard. I was using valvoline 30wt race oil(I think that's what it said?). I've been breaking in the engine with a 30wt oil. The engine is a 327 c.i. chevy with solid lifters .57 intake and .58 exhaust lift. Springs are 210lbs. This engine only has about 700-800 miles on it, and its more of a street/strip engine. I'm not real sure of my bearing clearances. Its been about 5 years since this motor was built-which someone built for me. Any suggestions on oil to use? I don't want to go with a full synthetic. A friend in the UK recommended Castrol GTX 10/50 but I don't think you can get that weight here. I guess this is like a semi-synthetic or something? Should I go up to 20/50 or 10/40? Or go with like a straight 40wt Valvoline and see if it cures the problem?
Thanks!
-Mack

What was the reading on the oil pressure guage?
What was the reading on the oil temperature guage?
What kind of RPMs are you turning?
Do you have an oil cooler?

Without this data, we cannot advise you on going to a thinner oil or going to a thicker oil.

Fix what problem?If the engine died due to oil issue the only advise that needs to be set forth is TAKE THE ENGINE OUT AND TEAR IT DOWN!

I can not understand why you don't want to use a synthetic. The only reason I can think of, is that you never go more than 2500rpm
wink.gif
. If you race the car, then a synthetic is the only choice(unless you really like doing totally useless things, like building engines, when you could have avoided it by simply using Royal Purple, Redline or Amsoil synthetic oil). Another positive thing is that you save lot of time because you don't have to change engine-parts and oil so often and can use that time to race.

"If you race the car, then a synthetic is the only choice(unless you really like doing totally useless things, like building engines, when you could have avoided it by simply using Royal Purple, Redline or Amsoil synthetic oil)."
This is too biased of a statement to take seriously.Back it up.

probably would be better stated that running synthetic may be worth the extra cost for the marginal protection.

If its a street/strip motor, and your roadracing- there's totally different requirements. You should do an oil analysis, see how bad it was sheering.

Im trying using a HDEO diesel oil (15w40) for this season- Im trying to see if it will give me reasonably the same benefits as a full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back