402 Stroker Iron Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the engine together...bearing clearances are .00285....so lets call that three thousanths....10.6-1 compression....
After break in...here in South Texas....what oil viscosity should I go with...I'm thinking 10-40 or 10-30...I run dual filters and a BM Oil Cooler....street/strip car....NAPA ( Sponsor) has given me cases of Royal Purple Racing 41 (10-40)....but I am concerend about "too thick"....what do you guys think? Sorry if I didnt include enough info...been on my mind...needed to solicit your thoughts and supper is ready:)

Yup...been thinking about a single weight this time around....why?
I also agree and will use a big dose of ZDDP for break in..but will use the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment.....the GM Oil Additive and the sulfur backs me off a tad....I have my break in down....what do you feel the after 1000 mile viscosity should be...or are you saying a straight 30 weight year round...

Straight 30 will have a better film strength between the parts than the multi viscosity oils .The e o s is great when first firing up the engine. The 10w/40 will work with the 00285 clearance.

10w40 is an option, or the straight grade Nitro oils they have. if you have any hesitations on what exactly to use then ask the technical staff at Royal Purple in Porter, or drop them a mail.
Rather be safe than sorry.

Run a "racing" dino oil with the EOS for the first 300 miles. Switch to the Royal Purple 10w40 or 15w50, depending on the oil pressure. I believe the RP has lots of ZDP.

I would have used the Royal Purple Racing 21. It is equal to a 5/30 weight oil, but of course have much better tolerances to handle the extreme pressure in your engine(amongst other a film strength that is 4 times better than Mobil1). This results in much lower wear on bearings and other parts that see extreme conditions.

Well break it in right...then run the Royal Purple 41 for a couple of trials...get Blackstone to do a UOA and then try the RP 21 and do the same....I think either will work in this motor honestly....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back