RIP 600HP LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rod looks kinda funny sticking out the side of block....oh well...such is life.....anyway....
we got the 342 LS1 out and have a new 402 iron block from GM high performance sitting in the shop getting prepped....
All forged bottom end...balanced...Patriot Stage II heads...588 lift Comp Cam etc. etc.....
Should put down 500RWHP+ on all motor...200 shot of nitrous will be part of the package.....
looking for any thoughts on viscosity of oil that this motor would like.....I'm open....thanks fellas....donations to the deceased can be made to The Sisters of Wide Open Throttle
smile.gif

What are the clearances going to be? If it's going to be a little on the loose side then Mobil 1 15w-50 might fit the bill. I'd break it in on HD 30.Beware the nitrous, that usually leads to broken parts sooner or later.

KJA426...I hear ya on nitrous...thus the total forged bottom end...this thing will take more than 250 safely and all day long.....that is the very reason I am going larger displacement and forged bottom end....we had maxed out the LS1....

PatMan...wasup man....sure...I'll be at the shop in the morning and take a few pics...(close your eyes)...the ensuing fire didnt do me any favors....rewiring required:)
YEah I'm sorta leaning on breaking her in on straight 30 and driving like my Grandma did for a few hundred miles...then a 20-50...I've searched quite a bit and the weights of oils used is mind boggling....

Sgtgeek,

Did you blow the engine up while you were spraying or was it during WOT without the juice?

Mr. Magoo.....just driving along...doing nothing but the speed limit....After the autopsy...we had everything spread apart trying to figure out what happened...it was one of two things.....
A valve spring called in sick...broke....the cylinder "swallowed" the valve....bang....
We had a detonation for some reason .....causing multiple cylinders to fire...bang...
I am now fairly convinced a valve spring broke...and these are very expensive valve springs....so that sucked....oh well....

quote:

I am now fairly convinced a valve spring broke

If you watch NASCAR, broken titanium valve springs are VERY common. Once the spring breaks......its down hill from there.

Sorry to here of your issue and hope you get her back as you would want. It happens to all of us when pushed hard...

Thanks man....I appreciate it....but dont be too sorry for me:)
New 402CID Stroker Iron Block Forged
Eagle Crank (balanced)
Eagle Rods
ARP Rod bolts
JE Pistons
Mahle Ring packs
Double Roller Timing chain
Patriot Stage II's 64cc chambers
Comp Cam 222 228/581 588 113
LSX FAST Intake
is here already and we will be tuning come Wednesday
smile.gif

ON a 200 shot we should be around 750 to the rear wheels......that'll make me forget about my loss pretty dadgum quick
gr_eek2.gif

[ January 21, 2006, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: sgtgeek ]

Sounds like a nice package. I'd still go with a HD 30 break-in and go Mobil 1 15w-50 after that. That's what we did with my uncle's 426 Max Wedge.

I hear where your coming from but these bearing clearances are tight....I mean like .002...50 weight just aint gonna get through there...this new motor is really well put together and the folks just did an unbeleivable job...so the clearances are gonna be very tight.....After the break in my sponsor (NAPA) has giving me a case of Royal Purple Racing 41 to run and then they want to see the UOA to post on their website and stuff......Mobil 1 15-50 would be better for a big block (factory) I would think friend....

Engine tear down and analysis of the rod, piston, bore and valves will identify the culpret.

You say you were just cruising around when it let go. At what RPMs did it let go? At what oil pressure did the rod let go? Engine water temp? engine oil temp? transmission oil temp? Miles on engine? miles on oil? which brand of oil and weight?

quick_16 Yes....I have been spraying for just about 6 months.....however brought in the experts and keep everything very very safe...for me and the motor:)

Mitch...Austin! Your just up 281 from me:)
Valve spring was the culprit...Oil temp was at about 200....water temp 185....about 1700 RPM...oil pressure at about 30lbs....8000 miles on car...about 4000 miles on motor....Trannie oil temp at 100....(yes I have guages for all the above and watch them more than the road).....Oil was Chevron Delo 15-40 with about 500 miles on it running through dual AC Delco filters....excellent Blackstone Labs report 500 miles earlier....

Sorry about the motor. Though the 408 should be very wicked once complete. My friend's 3700lbs raceweight SS is sporting a new Rapid Motorsports 402 LS2 at 543rwhp and he's loving it! 10.8's 130mph. I just wonder if the Patriot Stage II's and that cam are up to a 408? What type of spring broke? C921's, PRC's PP Golds?

My friends 402 http://www.rapidmotorsports.com/movie0001.mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back