Valvoline Racing oil is popular, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to see this oil at nearly every auto parts store such as AZ. Why is this? Did Valvo marketing sell their name as a top-notch oil for racing? Are the UOA's better for Valvo racing oil than other oils?
confused.gif

I don't know much about racing oils at all, I'd figure I'd ask...

We tried Valvoline many years ago after we couldn't find our usual Quaker State racing oil,and found that it held 10lbs less oil pressure,so at the time we switched to Castrol.I use Mobil Delvac 15w40 in my race engines.

i think that the general public is just slow to change and the parts stores/valvoline have no problem proffiting from this. heck, most racers still have a hard time getting out of the 20w50 world. i used this forum to research oil for my ford 427 sohc and valvo racing 10w30 seemed acceptable but one could use almost any hdeo for half the price and get a better oil. just my opinion based on the data found here.

depends on the application.
i tested VR1 sae 50 and in 17 UOA's it is one of only 3 oils (so far) that did not shear out of grade. imho, i give it 2 thumbs up!

Exxon Superflow 20w50 and Shell Rotella T 15w40.
this is in a 2001 Yamaha YZ250F (250cc 4strk single) that idles at 1900 rpm, developes max hp at 10,300 rpm and redlines at 13,500 rpm. all oils were race tested and analyzed by blackstone labs. this motor uses a shared dry sump for both the motor AND the transmission. i have made many high dollar oils cry for mercy in at little as 50 miles (ie sheard out of grade).

It's a straight 50 weight and most figure if you are racing then you want the heaviest oil possible. My uncle has a 426 Max Wedge that he raced in the 60's and it was clearanced so wide that you had to run 50 weight in it. It's been rebuilt to normal clearances and he now runs 30 weight in it.

I used to race SCCA in the late 1960s early 1970s. Valvoline Racing oil was both highly promoted, and, had good availability in staight weights.

There was even a 60wt Valvoline racing oil available. I used to use 20w-50 Valvoline racing oil in my street Corvette that ran rather hot.

I have not used Valvoline oil in the last 25-30 years.

Actually, the SAE 60 is still available. I just bought some at the local AZ to use for priming a new oil pump on my Dodge pickup. I just couldn't stomach the idea of packing the pump full of Vaseline.
spaz.gif

I can't speak for the dodge, but on a buick the oil pump is not in the sump, and in order to prime the pump you pack it _full_ of vaseline before instaling it so it'll create a 'suction' and begin pulling oil from the sump.

Alex.

I'm no mechanic but 60 wt? Are you running a top fueler? Shouldn't any regular grade of oil work for priming an oil pump? What's the deal with the Vaseline also?

Hardbody loyalist. Ust STP in the blue bottle to prime that pump. STP is very sticky and will let the pump pull oil quickly.

Probly the only thing that STP is good for?

As for SAE-60. I just put some in my oil burning generator. Sure is a %$#*& to pull that rope when it's cold though.

"Sticky" is how 20w50 Valvoline racing oil feels to me. Is it an additive that does that?

I can't decide on a good oil. Do you know of a 30wt pass car oil that feels sticky? I'd like to try it in my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back