Small Block Chevrolet: Canister vs. Spin on oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am rebuilding a 1966 327 Chevrolet. This is the early style block with road draft tube, and a canister oil filter. Are there any filtration advantages to converting to a spin on filter?

Is the stock canister oil fiter as efficient as a spin on?

Am I gaining anything other than "easier oil changes" by converting?

This will be a very healty 327

Following a dyno proven combination, I am hoping to achieve ~ 426 hp and ~ 400 lb-ft of torque.

I would go for the spin on with a 2 qt filter. I don't know what car the engine is in at to fit the 2 qt filter. You can try the cannister filter for a while and see how you like changing it.

If you get the adapter to put a spin on onto it you must leave certain parts of the canister system in place or the oil will bypass the filter.

I kinda dig the canister setup myself.

You must leave the "bypass valve" in place.
Although, certain kits instruct you to remove it.
The Trans-Dapt adapter removes it.

Not sure what removing it will do. If there is no bypass valve, then what happens?

I am going to stick to the canister style set up.

Not sure what micron a stock old style canister element will filter down too.If at all possible plug all bypass's in your system.If you care about your engine I would not run a spin on filter due to the fact that they ALL have an internal bypass in them. When do they open? How long are they open for? Where is the valve located inside the filter? These are the kinds of questions you should ask yourself.When you find the answers I am betting you would want a filter that has no bypass!

quote:

No matter how much you polish it, a turd is still a turd.

Amen, brother.
smile.gif

Edit: Darn, I posted this in the wrong thread. Would someone please move it to the "GM goes rice" thread? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back