Want Larger Air Flow Sensor for '94 Mustang 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother recently got a '94 5.0 Mustang with only 40,000 miles. It has a 5 speed stick and 2.73 rear end. He says it came with Flowmasters, K&N filter, and a Hypertech chip. He had a Powerdyne supercharger (9 lb boost) installed which came with an upgraded fuel pump and chip. He really likes the performance with the supercharger and plans to go to 20# injectors. Also he wants to find a bolt in (no mods) larger mass air flow sensor. His has the 4 bolt flange (some connect differently) and is 60 mm. He is looking to move up to about 76 or 77 mm.

Anyone know of a bolt in air flow sensor that would fit? He wants to keep the stock airbox and ducting. Apparently the air flow sensor is the more restrictive part.

If he is going with a supercharger, he needs real injectors. Stock injectors are 19 lbs for the GT and 24 lbs for the Cobra. The MAf’s from what I understand are the same. If he is going boost he should be running at least 36’s, preferably 42’s. My guess is that the SC kit he was running was using an FMU, which is a 6:1 or 8:1 Fuel pressure regulator. Remember that these are run on vacuum, and they do cause problems if something goes wrong Its just a band-aid. I suggest that he dump the 20(I think you meant 24’s) sell the FMU he probably has, and buy the 36’s and a retune.

I would suggest going with a Pro-M 75 or 80mm MAS with a 36 lb injector chip, a lot of them can be found for around $300 with injectors and MAF. Check the Corral, turbomustangs.com, local mustang boards, 50tech, 50hardcore, and some more I am probably forgetting.

Fuel is not something your motor can be without. At 8 PSI you don’t want your vacuum hose falling off, or breaking off, or being sucked off, the FMU dropping fuel pressure drastically and melting a piston.

How big a blower is he trying to run?

He may call injectors and a MAF overkill, but remind him that there are three ways to mod a car

Fast, cheap, and reliable

Pick two.

42's should allow him enough room to split his block in half.

In all likelihood you'll need a new tune with a diffferent MAF.
(I'm more familiar with the mod motors, and you'd definitely need a new tune with a mod motor.)

Shaman is right about the injectors. I've got a supercharged 5.4 in my Expedition, I run 42# injectors, as do dozens of friends with similar setups. . 20# injectors will not be enough to support his potential power levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back