Racers. Check out these pistons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salesrep: I have seen a number of tuners loose rod bearings and never accept the fact it was caused from lean A/F ratios.

In one case, you could see how the rod was 'blued' from the heat. Piston suffered damage too.

Apparently, No one reads plugs anymore.

I grew up working on Hilborn Injection Systems. They were notorious for running dangerously lean with a rich, sooty exhaust...Robert

Wow, how did the temp get up to 270?!
gr_eek2.gif

My guess is it was a circle track racer with some kind of cooling system problem who didn't want to drop out of the race.

Mr. Herndon, guys with EFI cars often eschew plug reading as old technology they don't need because they're computers are so great. So great, in fact, that they have to pay other people to tune their cars for them!
rolleyes.gif

Anyone who's modified and raced air cooled 2 strokes has likely seen pistons similar to the 1st and 3rd. You keep getting more and more power out of them - right up until you reach the thermal limit of the piston. Lean mixtures get you there long before that.

I'm really amazed at the 2nd one. I cannot believe the rod didn't break!

Wow, that bent con rod is awesome. I'm impressed it bent that far and didn't break. I was at Norwood Engineering in Dallas, TX one time and saw a little collection of broken pieces they had. The coolest I can remember is a piston with the bottom half of an intake (or exhaust) valve mashed into the surface of the piston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back