what oil for rebuilt 5.0 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrome rings or plasma moly rings? I've never heard of chrome moly rings. Chrome rings are the ones that take a long time to seat.

Can't say what to do as far as running synthetic oil when the rings aren't seated. As far as weight, 10w30 will do the trick. I ran M1 10w30 in my 5.0, and I'm going to run 10w30 in the 347 I have now.

hmm...maybe they are chrome rings...ill have to get with my machinist again. im probably wrong, but yeah, ill probably just run M1 because its readily available

just got done putting in the new motor this past weekend. im running havoline 10w30 in it right now to break it in. i just cant figure out what oil i want to run in it after the 1000 mile mark. its got chrome-moly rings in it which my machinist said will take forever to seat properly but that doesnt really bother me. im just wondering if you guys have any suggestions. im not looking for long OCI's, i just want an oil that is going to give me the most protection. im thinking either redline or amzoil...but havent dismissed all other possibilities. thanks

I have a 347 also! I ran cheap 10-30 for 20 min drained and put in M1 10-30, and about that breakin thing, as soon as the starter stops turning ITS BROKE IN, I used to run 20-50 and change every two weeks, but the 10-30 M1 still holds good oil pressure and stays in all year

347 is expensive engine that wasnt made by ford, all that extra horse power will eat any cheap conventional oil, hope your machinest didnt use chrome rings, I doubt it most likely plasma moly rings, after 1000 mile use a quality synthetic oil, protect your investment, you could use one of many synthetics, I prefer Amsoil, I feel it would last 10k in a 500hp engine used with Amsoil filters, it would last longer with half the power, like 25k but with abuse its better to change sooner or better yet have a oil analysis done and that will give you the best information on what condition your engine is in. just my .002 cents
Javier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back