Additive package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some advice,
I'm running a SBC 406 street/strip engine making an honest 500 horsepower. This engine is equipped with a hydraulis roller camshaft, full roller rocker arms, the rest of the wearing parts are pretty much what you would expect. My question is....on this style of engine, is the absence of moly in the aditive pkg going to be an issue. Both German Castrol 0w30 and Esso XD-3 0w30/0w40 do not contain Moly. Some people have said that moly is an important additive but my belief is that it's not an issue on a roller cammed engine. ????????

If it has only roller bearings and journal bearing technicaly moly and other AW are not needed BUT piston skirts and other slideing parts would need some AW additives for longest life and Moly would not hurt at all and gives a AW boost for the rolling elements also. Plus Moly and ZDDP will "burnish" into the metal so that if a oil film disruption occured wear or part falure maybe avoided.
bruce

also forgot rolling elements some time due to wear or alignment or whatever do not roll but will skid and form a flat spot better to have at least a robust ZDDP additive than not.
bruce

Torco 10W40 TR-1 conventional racing oil and a good filter - short OCI's.

785hp/685tq - street strip 509ci BBC - valvetrain looks practically unused after summer of cruising.

Recommended as only oil to use by engine builder -hit water box at 120F (top of the intake manifold) - from the line at about 140-145F

I came to this website looking for a easier to get replacement (no Torco rep in Ontario) - found nothing with the add package - bought 2x5 gal pails of TR-1 and had another racer bring it up to me.

MAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back