The Speed Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

All of the Nascar drivers becoming "celebrities" has made the whole problem even worse.

it's unfortunate, that everything is driven by money. When a station finds that they get more viewers showing a walk-along with a "celeb-driver" from nascar, they bail out on the broadcasting of a "minor-leage" racing event.

I said the same thing in a post about fram filters.. it's not frams fault that their filters are built like junk and sold at a premium price- it's the consumers fault for not being educated, supporting their corperate gods completally oblivious.

If the majority of watchers, are tuning in for the *big* events, and very few are tuning in for the *small(but often more interesting)* events. then the station has to make a decision. It's VERY rare, that any company, makes a decision that is not based on $$$.

so- all I can say is- if you want to *change* things- you can't blame the big corperations- you have to blame their supporters, and try to effect those supporters rather than the corperation.

I also long for the days of Speedvision. Variety of motor sports throughout the day, and of course Drive-In Theatre.
But it seems like all the "specialty" channels have lost their roots. Home improovement shows on Life. Reality on A&E, TNN turning into Spike (TNN was pretty good in its day as well if you where into drag racing, along with the weekend automotive shows), etc.etc. Hopefully OLN Canada will have the Dakar this year.

Alex.

I really think Gary Allen is on to somethign with his WWF reference.
frown.gif

And others have hit all around it. The current. average TV viewer will seemingly watch endless hours of completely vapid/mindless garbage ... phony celebrities and phonier-still 'reality' shows.
rolleyes.gif

But these same viewers won't make a committment to regularly watching a new race series. It's just too much effort, I guess.

So, I too blame the current audience for the state of television in general ... and The Speed Channel in particular.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

A motorcycle roadracer (club-level) perspective:
1. I've been watching Speed since it was SpeedVision and yes, I have noticed a tremendous move towards NASCAR and away from everything else, especially motorcycle racing. Two-wheeled Tuesday is now a 1/2 hour show; it used to be a day of the week that was fully motorcycle-based. And 2/3 of it wasn't about choppers and the ex-ex-ex-playmate host.
2. Had an interesting talk with a co-worker this week re: general population's interest in racing. He said that people appreciate what they do. He appreciates watching pro golf on tv (snore) because he has golfed and can relate to what's going on and appreciate their skill. While he understands my fascination with motorcycle racing, it doesn't draw him in since he has no point of comparison.

There was an article in Cycle World recently discussing this and that to draw in the general public, you've got to get into the personalities. If you can draw from NASCAR where they have a 1/2 hour show about the brand of underwear worn by the top 3 in points, and their ?resultant? popularity, then I guess that's right. When I tell non-racers about MotoGP or AMA Superbike, I do try to tell them about the personalities...

In the end, we can't gripe about the stations doing things for money. This is a capitalist society after all. We could all put our money together and try to make a go of a "The Original Speedvision" channel or something. I miss it like crazy and wish they'd go back to having more of the oddball stuff, esp. motorcycles, world rally, and airplane racing, but... what can I do other than write them another 200 letters? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back