How hot is too hot - oil temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I track my 05 cooper S with RL 5-30 and see temps up to 130-140c (280f). My mechanic says it's way too hot (he runs a porsche track-prep business) and to go to a 20-50 racing oil, if not an oil cooler.

My question is if RL at 280f is doing any damage to my engine. Thanks for your help.

mb

The simple solution for the vette is to turn the cooling fans on earlier, and moreso install a 160 T-stat if he doens't like 260 degree oil temps

My L89 C4 Vette lives around 200f coolant and 225 oil temps just running down the highway at 70mph. They are built for those parameters. With Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum in it I dont worry when "playing" and the oil temp gets to 280ish. No problems at all.

I drive a Corvette running a C5R-427 (600 HP / 650 TQ; large BeCool radiator, 160 t-stat with fan controller.) At the track (road course) I typically run a temp of ~280. I have run Mobil 1 5W30 (the oil pressure dropped significantly); Royal Purple 10W30 (pressure held much better); now I run Royal Purple XPR 10W40 Racing Oil - the performance & pressure are great. On the street I continue to run RP 10W30 - oil temp ~220.

From what I've read, polyolesters are the only lubricant that can withstand Jet Engines. In that case, wouldn't Redline/Motul handle higher temps better?

Quote:

From what I've read, polyolesters are the only lubricant that can withstand Jet Engines. In that case, wouldn't Redline/Motul handle higher temps better?

I have seen some comparisons of Redline vs Royal Purple with the RP providing better protection. The company that built of C5R-427 (they build racing engines) recommended RP & I am very happy with the performance. I had the engine dismantled at 20,000 miles & it looked perfect.

If your engine is running hot, this can help a lot: http://www.motormaxeurope.com/ I am using it myself, and it really helps. This way, you don't have to worry about cooling capasity, you'll have all the capasity you need in your stock car. Hope this can help someone.

Quote:

Quote:

I have seen some comparisons of Redline vs Royal Purple with the RP providing better protection. The company that built of C5R-427 (they build racing engines) recommended RP & I am very happy with the performance. I had the engine dismantled at 20,000 miles & it looked perfect.

Who actually built your engine from the C5R shortblock, Katech? MTI? More Performance??

SullyC5er and dailydriver, I forgot to mention that I have tested both RP Purple Ice and Redline Water Wetter. They are not as good as this one. Another positive thing is that you can drink it, if you are thirsty. It is being used in Nascar, and it is an American product. It even have an american homepage, but I found the homepage from GB more informative.

Quote:

Who actually built your engine from the C5R shortblock, Katech? MTI? More Performance??

Now Katech is a good company! They build engines for GM & GM Racing. The other two...well no thanks. CR Machine in Orlando (they build NASCAR engines) & Mike Norris (Norris Motorsports) built & installed the engine.

Quote:

Quote:

Now Katech is a good company! They build engines for GM & GM Racing. The other two...well no thanks. CR Machine in Orlando (they build NASCAR engines) & Mike Norris (Norris Motorsports) built & installed the engine.

AGREED! I was just asking. The only reason I mentioned More is because of your location, but there are PLENTY of good/great builders in that area, just don't know how many of them deal with LSxes.
I HAVE heard of Norris (quite positively, I might add).
IF I had enough to afford a C5R block for a build I probably would commission Katech to do the work. Otherwise I would only trust our local LSx experts/builders; Cartek.

In any case, I'm sure your engine is a very reliable screamer (for it's displacement) of a powerplant!!
crazy.gif
cool.gif
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back