Virginia International Raceway Grand East Course

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently attended the Mazdadriver's Grand East VIR driver's "education" event. It was a **** of a blast, and an incredible course. Laptimes were in the 3.5-4.5 minute range! Car's did fantastic, as well as the T1-R's. The addition of the patriot course really slowed down the overall laptime, and gave a huge advantage to the smaller more nimble cars, on a course that is generally felt to be extremely fast.

http://www.virclub.com
http://www.mazdadrivers.com
http://www.mscw.com

Attached is some snapshots of the event, the event map, and a short 1 lap video from fugi's car. The video begins at the northpaddock, at "D", and ends in the same spot.

Right Click and Save As! (Divx 5.21/mp3 encoded)

Additional Thumbnails/Photos @
http://www.fallentear.com/gallery/grandeast

The layout of the awesome Grand East Course (130 Foot elevation changes)
 -

Me Attempting to Drive (I'll get it right someday)
 -

Racing 350Z
 -

360 Hottness
 -

400 whp+ 3rd Gen Rx7
 -

Tireswap's Pwnz0r mobile
 -

The Color of Bitter
smile.gif

-

I use to run this course in the 60's in a MG. I attended an event at VIR in 2001 and was really impressed with this course. Love the new Grand East course layout. Really have to get back to going back to VIR. Thanks for the info.

You'll love it TR3. Grand east is just fantastic. The spiral is unbelievably fun. I wish I could do it all day long
smile.gif

And bit*h really is...a decreasing radius turn, off camber, and down hill, right after a straight.

Many a high powered car went flying through through unable to stop in time.

What's with the back-wards LIFT on the green Honda? Pull behind a car and the read that and you get into a rear ender potentially?????

The honda civic weighs around 2000 lbs, 140 bhp, and had R comps on.

It could out turn and out handle almost every car in its class. The problem was...there were alot of ego's on the track. When your sitting in your 115,000 USD Porsche GT3...and a 3k lime green honda civic is riding your ***...its hard to let them pass.

LIFT comes from the request of the civic driver for those individuals with bad lines to allow him to pass in the straights...even if they had significantly more power then he did. Aka "lift" off the throttle.

Basically what tends to happen on the track, is you get a number of individuals with high horsepower cars, and low skill levels. They'll drive extremely slowly through the curves, and then slam on the gas in the straights.

This causes "trains" of people to get stuck behind them, so the proper and correct thing to do is not slam on the gas in the straights, and to allow the faster drivers to pass you, so they can have more fun in the technical sections. (You can only pass in the straights unless your in A group, or an instructor).

Once the path is free, you can then slam on the gas in the straights....as even with 400-450 bhp, you won't be able to catch up to faster more nimble cars once you reach the technical sections (unless you know how to drive).

Of course the best case scenario is coming across two drivers who both are willing to let anyone pass, and around equal skill level. Then you play games of tag with the other driver, switching whose in front position, as you drive around the track. Thats just hella fun let me tell you
smile.gif

Here'a a short video of "vir tag"

Vir Tag! Right Click and Save As! Divx 5.21

Could not make this one, but will be at VIR in July to run with Viperdays. This will be my 3rd year and 4th event at VIR, I did the mazda event last year, great place. I have never run the Grand east course, maybe next year.

Best time on the full course was a 2:13.1 running with another Z06 driver, his best was a 2:11.
worshippy.gif

Another great Viperdays event at VIR.

Got to get an oil cooler over the winter.

With M1 0w-40 oil was over 300° in less then 15 mins, just like Sebring. But oil pressure at idle was getting
nono.gif
22psi at 300° So I put in some Motul 10w-40 300v, temps stayed about the same but idle oil pressure was better at 28psi @ 300°.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back