SBC 406, roller motor, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • SBC 406
  • solid roller cam (street profile lobes, ~ 350lbs open pressure; gross lift 0.543/0.561 w/ 1.5 ratio)
  • roller valvetrain (tips & fulcrums)
  • crane "pro series" roller lifters (NO oil passage to the roller bearings like isky/crower has now)
  • 6500rpm max
  • california use (probably won't ever even be started below 40*F)
  • infrequent starts (might not get driven for 3-6 weeks at a time)
  • maybe 1000 miles a year, including 2-3 trips to the 1/4 mile a year (maybe 10 passes a year).

any thoughts on an oil? the engine is basically new (about 200 miles). currently running chevron 10w30 (has about 180 miles on it, and probably going to drain soon, as I like to go about 20 miles on the break in oil and another 200 on the first change, then go to normal intervals). My thoughts so far are...

• want something with good startup flow, so that the valvetrain and lifters do without the least amount of time possible
  • something 'robust' to deal with the pressures in all the roller bearings in this engine

My first thought is GC. But until the new gold stuff is figured out, I'm leary. second thought is the M1 T&SUV oil. Or perhaps delo/1300 15w40 type stuff, but a little concerned with flow at startup of a 15w. schaeffers 20/50 racing synth blend is also interesting, but i don't need something that thick. Have read the comments about a light synth being better for the roller lifters, and the fact that my oil pressure is just fine even with the chevron 10w30.

I'd run the highly friction modified, Redline 5w-30 or 10w-30, which should be easy to find in California at a decent price....The 10w-30 also meets the CI-4 diesel spec - the improved corrosion protection will be of benefit for an engine that sits for long periods of time

This will give you sigificantly better valvetrain protection then a 15w-40 petroleum oil - but with much easier pumping on startup/warmup and improved high rpm performance. I'm not a big advocate of MoDTC, but in this case the 500 ppm of EP/FM additive could come in handy.

The GC, 0w-30 is a fuel efficient, long drain formulation for European engines designed to run relatively thinner (compared to 15w-40/20w-50/10w-60) oils. It isn't the best fit for this particular application....

Tooslick

I would be looking for an oil with lots of zinc with your higher valve spring pressures. Mobil 1300 15w 40 might be worth checking out.

responses to everyone so far:

the redline 10w30 is now on my consideration list.

GC was placed on my list because of it's excellent base stocks, the fact that it's a "thick" 30wt (it's thicker than the redline 10w30 at 100*C), and that it has performed so well in my 91 Z28 (5.7 motor). I'd still be considering it, except that I can't find any green stuff in town anymore and the 406 has a 7qt pan..major dent in my stash (which my 91 Z28 needs due to it's own set of issues).

The HDEO 15w40's (delvac/delo etc.) are also in consideration, but it doesn't seem that they are universally good, there's always an issue with them in some application. I'd probably go with Delo 400 CH-4+ if I used this choice.

Can't find much info on the schaeffers and the website is down right now...

nobody commented on M1 T&SUV?

anyhow, I guess my top options right now (no specific order):

redline 10w30
delo 400 CH-4+
M1 T&SUV

will check out schaeffers tomorrow when/if their site comes back up.

You want to use friction modified, gas engine synthetics and NOT diesel oils in this motor!

I'd also look at the Synergyn oils, the Royal Purple oils and the Mobil 1, 10w-40/EP...

Ted

synergen 5w-30 looks quite good. SBC lower-end seems to like thick 30 or thin 40wt (say 12-14cst @ 100C) and the synergen 5w-30 seems to fit that idea.

did a lot of reading on redline/royal purple and kind of want to scratch them off my list for the time being. too many uncertainties.

coudln't find too much info on the torco.

so, i guess it might be down to synergen 5w-30. any reasons NOT to use this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back