Oil suggestions for modified SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, trying to make my first post worth it and maybe helpful in the future. I have currently finished up building a small block chevy, I will type the specs out at the bottom. But it will be going in a 91 Camaro Z28, so figure it being a 3400 or so pound car(if that matters). I want to be sure all the work I put into the motor is worth it(cause I did this all myself). And it will be used against either a manual valve body 700R4 trans, or a TH350/400, and a mid 3k stall havent decided yet, and I know the benefits of the 350/400's. But I did a search and some looking around on here and I have now just only confused myself more. I currently use the VR-1 20w-50, but I notice others mention Schaffers and some moly brand in other posts, but what is my best bet? It will be a drag strip car for the most part, but it still will see some street driving(in Chicago), but limited for the most part. So whats my best bet? Any suggestions or am I good with what I got?

Specs:
89 Chevy 350 bored .030, 25% over stock Melling oil pump, stock 5 qt pan, Crane cam: 1800-6500 rpm range, 302 advertised duration; 500" lift, dome pistons with about 11:1 compression, 202 fuelie heads, roller rockers, full floating rods, stock 10 under crank, push rod guide plates, and a high rise style intake if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help guys and gals!

Schaeffer's 15w40 would be a good choice.......the new schaeffer's 5w40 would probably work as well. IMO, I don't think that you need a 50 weight oil. I have run sbc's for years on 30 and 40 weight oils and never had a problem. With the high volume pump, a 6 or 7 quart pan will reduce the chances of pumping the pan dry. A crank scraper and windage tray will help too.

Off topic........unless the fuelies are ported to beat ****, you would be better off with a smaller cam, or another set of heads.

yeah the heads are done up nice, I got them in a trade from a guy I have known for a while, he traded them cause he wanted a FI setup I had and he got a sweet deal on aluminum heads. Now where can I pick up Schaeffer's at?

Shell Rotella 15w-40.Available almost everywhere.
cheers.gif

-

Torco 10W40 TR-1. Reasonable price - use with good high flow filter AC Delco PF35L - change both twice a season.

Dragstrip work requires an additive pack biased towards oil at less than "normal" operating temperature.

MAT

I have a 330 crate engine in my truck. Last summer I was using 15w40 rotella.
After coming to bitog, I went to 0-30M1 & 0-40M1
Now Im running GC 0-30.

At 60 mph Im running 38 lbs with the GC
With the 0-40M1 I was at 39~40
With the 15~40 I was at anywhere between 46~50 and pressure seemed to be temperature sensitive, cooler engine the oil psi was higher.

I run my engine hard and pull heavy loads [car carrier/scrap metal/Cedar logs] Many times im up in the 12000# gvw range, sometimes as high as 14000#. I'll take it to 6000+ in 1st gear many times,[love hearing the noise] the oil pressure is always good @ 60+ psi over 5000 rpms.
Long hills we have around here, I drop into 2nd gear and frkn hold it to the rug. I ain't easy on this engine, some pulls on two hills are a mile n a 1/2 in 2nd gear. mwaa haa haa...I'll hold that engine at 4500+ just so nobody will pass me.

I would like to do a UOA when I get a few more miles under the GC's belt however I bet i'll be too lazy and not do it from trusting what many say on the forums about the GC.
Like the M1, using GC right now the engine is very quiet at idle.
I run a Mr. Gasket thermostat for 190 deg and seems to hold that temperature or 5 degrees less.

I have a slightly foolish gut feeling that this GC is great for my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back