Royal Purple RP 21 Question about actual viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info and I had read through most of those, but I thought I would bring this out as a specific question though to see if anyone else had heard of a similar issue and/or to get any "race specific" tpye of running as my car will probably see more constant high rpm abuse than the typical daily driver/occassional HPDE car.

Thanks,
Rick

59 Vetteman,

The RP sample in the analysis you cited HAS sheared. However this thinning has been cancelled out by the high solids level of 0.5% and the resultant oxidative thickening.

It is this shearing behavior that the Ford engineer was alluding to and not the baseline viscosity. I'd run the M1, 10w-30 instead in this application as it's almost completely shear stable.

I have no affiliation with either company....

TS

In my other thread I posted I was switching to RP 21 for use in my car for road course events. I'm happy with the oil thus far, but only have about 50 miles on it and a few auto-x runs and some dyno time, no actual road courses yet.

In speaking with a friend of mine who is a ford engineer and a crew member on a professional race team in the grand am cup series, he said they lost a motor due to RP 21 not being the viscosity it is advertised at which is 5-30. It apparently comes in somewhere around a 5-20 according to him and they've since switched to 5-30 M1 and been running it with success.

Though the tolerances are pretty tight on my motor, I still would rather have the 30 weight in there rather than 20 weight. Has anyone done some viscosity tests on RP 21 other than RP? The UoA's I've read look good, but I haven't noticed anything really specific to this question.

Thanks,
Rick

Look at this VOA on a 7500 mile run on RP-21. No problems with viscosity:

RP-21

Then go to the UAO forum and search, I used RP-21 and came up with 8 UOA on RP-21. No viscosity problems at all. I would run it in my Mazda, I just cannot afford it.

smile.gif

TS,

Thanks for the interpretation of the UoA for me. I'm still pretty much unfamiliar with interpreting all the data on there. I'm hoping Dyson might swing by this thread and put in his opinion as well.

Thanks,
Rick

A ford engineer worried about lower vis ! Say it ain't so. Hey if 5w-20 weight is good enough for the operating manual then it is good enough for the race car !
rolleyes.gif
Apologies I just couldn't help myself.

I have not studied this analysis result so I cannot chime in with a free read.

Rick, get some professional advice, preferably using the Blackstone Dyson cooperative kit. Will save you money and increase longevity and performance and pay for itself.

On RP 21. It has done well in most applications and shear has not been a issue with the oil.

I just studied a RP 41 result in a Alcohol burning dragster using 555Ci GM BB and it did exceptionally well. I think it is posted here too.
The RP racing lube formulations are very similar, excluding the vis difference in the 30w vs the 40w.

Terry, thanks for the input and I definitely plan to get some UoA's done on my oil from blackstone/dyson. I was mainly worried about the possibility of hammering a $5K motor at my first event which is the reason I posted here to get some additional feedback and specific input.

As far as the engineer, to his credit, he is a brake engineer by profession, but crews for a grand-am cup on the weekends.

Thanks,
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Rick, get some professional advice, preferably using the Blackstone Dyson cooperative kit. Will save you money and increase longevity and performance and pay for itself.
I just studied a RP 41 result in a Alcohol burning dragster using 555Ci GM BB and it did exceptionally well. I think it is posted here too.
The RP racing lube formulations are very similar, excluding the vis difference in the 30w vs the 40w. [/QB]

Hey, You need to take Terry up on his help. His advise and contacts can save you real $$$$'s. I'll post the UOA on this RP 41 when and if I get off the road.
I'm replacing the controls on a Siemens V84 120MW Combustion Turbine and it's almost done me in..
shocked.gif

Just a point on this analysis, the Mobil 1 had 4K miles and the RP had 7,351 miles on it. The wear in PPM per 1K miles is lower with the RP.

We have Royal Purple and Mobil Dealers both as Sponsors on BITOG. So my opinion is neutral, both excellent oils. In fact in my PSD's I run RP in one and Delvac in the other.

smile.gif

quote:

In speaking with a friend of mine who is a ford engineer and a crew member on a professional race team in the grand am cup series, he said they lost a motor due to RP 21 not being the viscosity it is advertised at which is 5-30. It apparently comes in somewhere around a 5-20 according to him and they've since switched to 5-30 M1 and been running it with success.

What operating condition is shared between a full on race car engine running on a track and a street engine run in normal traffic at legal speeds? ::

A) nothing
B) almost nothing
C) ambient temperatures
D) oil temperature
E) oil Pressure
F) time the oil spends in the engine between changes
G) milage the oil spends in the engine between changes
H) Number of cold starts
G) Number of warm starts
I) Compression ratio
J) Combustion pressures
K) average RPMs
L) peak RPMs
M) fuel air ratio

Mitch,

Thanks for your helpful insite (ya right), but if you had actually read my other thread that I was referencing, you'd see this is not a street application, duh.

Thanks,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back