what oil to use for 1300 hp bbc

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys cool board i run a 555 bbc in mud racer on nitrous 456 hp shot motor made 1286 hp ,spraying this much i get a little fuel in oil i change it after each race witch is every weekend i have been running VR-1 20-50W 3 thous on mains 2.5 thou on rods is this a good oil to use ,the car only runs under full load for say 2.5 sec, thats how long it take me to go 160 ft the motor NEVER SEE over 180 degs, thanks for any help great board..

well the motor was first built in 2000 ran it for 3 years using amsoil 20-50 racing oil and found a couple bad cam lobes and 2 spun bearings and a roller tip burned up on one 1 rocker arm other then that things looked ok, so after that rebuild i switch to the vr-1 we ran it one season hurt it carb went lean i lost tension on 2,4 so we pulled it down to tell you the truth it looks ok but its only been i season not 3,,,,,

I have ran VR-1 in several 7000+ rpm smallblocks. The oil would be changed roughly twice a month. The oil by-pass valve being plugged off to insure that all oil would go through the filter. Never had an engine let go from oil related issuses. Most times with engines with less than 500 hp, could get 3-4 years with out tearing down. With around 700 the engines would be torn down and ringed every winter. No bearing wear other than normal beating and banging.

What's your oiling system like?

Royal Purple in synthetic or Schaffer's in dino. I have about the same deal but abuse it for 7 sec's VR-1 is also a good oil but you can do better.

Suggest you pony up for lab testing "UOA" and have Terry Dyson guide you as part of that testing.

I run 2.5 on the mains with a coated H bearing but have top parts. Callis Magnum and Bow Tie Mark 4. Building a 565 now using a Big M. I'm using RP 41 just now but also like the Schaffer's race oil.

quote:

Originally posted by muddytoy racing:
hi guys cool board i run a 555 bbc in mud racer on nitrous 456 hp shot motor made 1286 hp ,spraying this much i get a little fuel in oil i change it after each race witch is every weekend i have been running VR-1 20-50W 3 thous on mains 2.5 thou on rods is this a good oil to use ,the car only runs under full load for say 2.5 sec, thats how long it take me to go 160 ft the motor NEVER SEE over 180 degs, thanks for any help great board..

Since your oil temps stay relatively low, perhaps a little thinner oil would work better.
dunno.gif

You could consider Mobil 1 20w-50 Vtwin motorcycle oil. That stuff looks pretty stout from an additive standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back