Race fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of general questions about racing. What forms of racing do we all follow on this forum? I used to be a fanatical Nascar fan. But since the big money forced out ESPN coverage, and all the politics with the spoiler/engine/body rule changes, I am just a casual viewer. I follow Formula One pretty close and enjoy the technical side of it. But it will never be popular in the states till a legitimate American driver and team is involved (maybe Scott Speed and RedBull will change that. I know RedBull and its team, is not American, by the way). I like NHRA, but feel big money, and such short "races" allow too many variables to affect an outcome. I used to like ASA racing with their spec engines, but havent heard much from them lately. ARCA still around? What are some of your passions?

I'm getting pretty into F1, those races are fun to watch. I also enjoy American Le Mans stuff whenever I catch it on tv, but don't follow it that closely (yet). WRC stuff has a weird format, but its fun to watch too.

I watch some NASCAR races but I can't stay interested for more than 30 minutes at a time unless it's one of the few road course style races. Every darn minute the yellow flag comes out for one reason or another. The other thing I can't stand is that NASCAR seems completely out of control with rules and especially marketing. C'mon, Powerade bottles on top of the car in the winners circle? Also, I'm not sure why some people still refer to NASCAR as "Stock car" racing when there is not one stock piece anywhere to be found on those cars.

As for drag racing, I can't watch that on TV at all but I do enjoy going to the lcoal drag strip on a friday night to watch all the locals come out and run what they brung.

For me, racing is more than just going around in cirlces to the left or going in a straight line for 1/4 mile.

I do enjoy watching F1, Grand Prix, Trans-Am style races. Especially when the cars actually resemble ones that you can go buy in the showrooms. Road courses with plenty of turns and changes in elevation, not just doing circles to the left....that's what I like. I also love watching WRC. Those drivers (and the fans as well) are crazy! The way they take turns on dirt/gravel roads with huge drop offs takes a huge amount of skill and guts. As far as watching, WRC is probably my favorite.

I just like watching racing and it really doesn't matter what kind. I follow some kinds more than others but if it's racing, I'll watch it.

My Direct TV system was broken and I could only get channels above 600 consistently. It was over 2 months before I noticed it...

I like WRC and production-based racing, like American Le Mans.

German DTM - while not exactly production-spc - also interests me. Though you can buy a Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR that is somewhat related to the DTM cars...

I like to watch cars that have something tangible in common with cars that I can buy.

I've been invovled in Drag Racing, Stock Car Racing, & Tractor Pulling the last 9 years.
I've gotten burned out on all of them.

Time to take a break and smell the roses. No more highs and lows with competition. No more worrying about weather nad how many people will show up. No more worrying about advertising.

I'll watch a bit of the drag racing on Speed or ESPN2 to get my fix, but that's about it.

I'll watch Speed or ESPN2 for some of the drag racing and as for Nascar I'll try and watch the last 1/2 hr or so to see who wins. To me that is where the most excitement usually is. At the end.

What do I enjoy doing more now than ever.
My GL1800 Goldwing and going riding and seeing things. Rather than sitting in the hot sun and wasting away.
It's just the way I feel now.

For on road I like WRC, CART, F1, and Lemans. I really like endurance racing such as the 24 hours at daytona. I would like to go watch a nascar race in person but don't follow it at all. Dirt track is cool too, in fact I would like to try flat track and super motard racing.
Off road I like most all forms of dirt bike racing such as motocross, flat track, and the new super motard. I also like desert racing including buggies and trucks. the pike's peak race is interesting too.
I am not a fanatic on any of these races. they are just the forms of racing I am interested in.

I really like the stock car competitions...like the SCCA pro world challenge. Since their using modified stock cars (Like the Mazda 6i Woo!!! go jeff!), it gives you an idea of what your car "would" be capable of if you wanted to invest a good chunk of money into it.

The races are also usually pretty technical with lots of elevation change and complex turns.
http://www.world-challenge.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back