poor mans dry sump lubrication anyone seen this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i saw a really neat way to get dry sump benefits without all the cost and hassle. an autocrosser guy i met has a gallon sized oil tank mounted next to his seat. its got 1 big dump valve at the opening which goes to the oil galley POST oil filter.

the way he explkained it to me how it worked was you verfill the engine with about a gallon of oil. you open the dump valve and allow the engine to idle untill the ank bleeds off enough oil pressure and oil to mostly fill the tank.

then when you take off on youre autocross course, during the corners when the oil pump pickup tube canyt get oil and the engine is starving for oil you pop the dump valve which loads the engine galleys up on oil post filter where it does the most good.

during the straights you keep the dump valve open so it can repressurize with oil using the oil pump. once it is full you close the valve and wait for the next corner.

the tank had a dual bladder thing where 1 side ket oil in and out and the other was filled with air and had a schrader valve type dealie so he can adjust the air pressure to fine tune the sustem.

the neat thing about this setup is you get basically all of the dry sump benefits without any of the haddles, expense, complexity, or extra weight. all you need is a gallon size tank, some hose and a dump valve.

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, you are supposed to fiddle with this while you are driving throught the course?
twak.gif

if you think its a hassle to reach over and turn a single knob 90 degrees once you enter a corner and once you exit one then you obviously cant multitask.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
if you think its a hassle to reach over and turn a single knob 90 degrees once you enter a corner and once you exit one then you obviously cant multitask.

It's all about paying attention. If you have 25 cents worth of attention and you pay 2 cents of it to turn a knob, you only have 23 cents left to drive with. Your competitor who still has 25 cents to drive with has an advantage.

Appologies to Keith Code for butchering his paying attention lecture.

i guess none of you ever seriously raced before.

things like shifting, clutch, 90 degree knob turning are all second nature. you dont even realise what you are doing untill its done. its sort of like breathing. you dont have to breathe youre body does it for you automatically. thats how this guy works the dump for his presure sump and judgiung by the racks of tyophys it seems to work ok.

heres a good question, if the compatition has 25 cents and you have 7 dollars where do you end up?

Are you sure you're not talking about an oil accumulator such as an Accusump? When driving you leave the valve open. If the oil pressure drops, higher pressure in the Accusump forces oil into the engine. When the oil pressure rises it refills the Accusump. You can shut the valve before you shut off the engine so you have pressurized oil to prelube the engine before the next restart. Trying to open and close a valve while driving an autocross is not practical. In a fast car you would not have time.

The only feasible time I'd think one would have to turn a nob during an autocross is if you were in a skidpad. Sometimes I like to do my taxes while in the skidpad, seems like 10 seconds go by as you swing through the circle twice on the edge of traction
smile.gif

quote:

things like shifting, clutch, 90 degree knob turning are all second nature. you dont even realise what you are doing untill its done. its sort of like breathing. you dont have to breathe youre body does it for you automatically. thats how this guy works the dump for his presure sump and judgiung by the racks of tyophys it seems to work ok.

heres a good question, if the compatition has 25 cents and you have 7 dollars where do you end up?

Speak for yourself as far as never doing any real racing. How much autocrossing or road racing have *you* actually done?

You feel like you have all the time in the world when you're road racing compared to running an autocross car...

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

Oh, I dunno, I just flew in the Marines for eight years or so. No multi-tasking challenges involved in that. . . Actually, I multi-task just fine. I have served as an Aviation Safety Officer, and have investigated a number of fatal aviation mishaps. What you describe is exactly the type of situation that safety people and engineers have spent countless years of effort trying to avoid: requiring an operator (driver, pilot, whatever) to simultaneously perform two or more tasks, any of which results in disaster if mishandled. I'd say that controlling a vehicle (especially in a race environment) and manually maintaining its oil pressure, would fit this pattern.

quote:

That's for us to know and you to guess. Racer or not, most of us know enough to not add non-essential tasks to a race driver.

lol.gif

On an AUTO X course my attention is 100% on driving, not fiddling with stuff in the cockpit. Road course is a different ball game, more time to set yourself up before the turns. Do you AutoX or only drag race your Kia Sephia?
wink.gif

quote:

quote:

Oh, I dunno, I just flew in the Marines for eight years or so. No multi-tasking challenges involved in that. . . Actually, I multi-task just fine. I have served as an Aviation Safety Officer, and have investigated a number of fatal aviation mishaps. What you describe is exactly the type of situation that safety people and engineers have spent countless years of effort trying to avoid: requiring an operator (driver, pilot, whatever) to simultaneously perform two or more tasks, any of which results in disaster if mishandled. I'd say that controlling a vehicle (especially in a race environment) and manually maintaining its oil pressure, would fit this pattern.

on another BB I post on, the full stop would have been finished with "owned".

The flight motto can be applied here.

There are old racers and bold racers, but there are no old bold racers.

If you have that much time in an autocross then it sounds like you've been racing with some of the corvette clubs in the Chicago area.

It's called an Accusump. Canton makes one. It's been around forever.

Dry sump!? Do you even know what a dry sump is?

There is no time to screw around with knobs, buttons, and handles other than the shifter(maybe) during an autocross. If you're playing with crap like that then you're just in it for the bling.

Kid, learn the English language. It's painful reading your posts.

This thread is one of the most retarded I've read on this board.

I just wanted to confirm that this is the actual operation of the accusump; that you only operate the switch/lever/valve 2 times; once before start up and once before shut down.

It also seems like an easy way to add a few quarts to your oil system.

quote:

Originally posted by ebaker:
Are you sure you're not talking about an oil accumulator such as an Accusump? When driving you leave the valve open. If the oil pressure drops, higher pressure in the Accusump forces oil into the engine. When the oil pressure rises it refills the Accusump. You can shut the valve before you shut off the engine so you have pressurized oil to prelube the engine before the next restart. Trying to open and close a valve while driving an autocross is not practical. In a fast car you would not have time.

Why not just get a riding mechanic, like in the old days?
He could serve to manually pump the oil pressure for the engine, and navigate.
Well, it worked back then.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back