Mobil 1 vs. Mobil 1 Racing (and other choices) street/strip/track day Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been browsing these forums for a while now trying to learn as much as I can. First I'd like to thank all the experts for their informative posts in other threads which have helped me alot.

Now to my question. I'm trying to determine the best oil for my car. The car is a 94 Honda Civic, motor is an LS/VTEC, OEM pistons (not the original LS pistons but P30s), OEM rods, Civic Type R camshafts, etc. It's pretty mild it makes about 190 whp. I rev it to 8300 rpm.

I drive the car on the street A LOT (about 2500-3000 miles/month), and I usually make 3-5 1/4mile passes every weekend. I also take the car out to a track day-type event every few months (about 4-5 times/year).

I ran conventional oil during the break-in process, and now that the motor has about 3200 miles on it (and 4 oil changes) I'm ready to switch to synthetic. I know that the Mobil 1 Racing oil would be a good choice, but the only place I've seen it at locally (Super Autobacs) has it for $9.25/quart which is a **** of a lot of money for oil. That's comparable to their prices for Redline 30wt Racing Oil ($10/quart I think).

On the other hand I could just run standard Mobil 1 - would that be almost as good for my uses? If anyone can tell me why Mobil 1 Racing will be significantly better then I guess I will cough up the extra cash. If not, I will stick to standard Mobil 1.

Also looking for weight recommendations?? I was thinking 5-30, 10-30, or 15-50?? The motor does burn a little oil, mostly during sustained high-rpm running. I know a heavier oil will suck a little horsepower, I don't really care about that, I'm looking for longevity mainly.

I change my oil every 3,000 miles or after every track day...

I would go with

Redline 30 weight (racing oil) for the quarter mile passes.

For daily driving, Mobil 1 5W30 or Redline 5W30 should work.

quote:

Originally posted by alexedge:

I change my oil every 3,000 miles or after every track day...

I'd use the Synergyn 3w-30 and let it allow you to get out of that after every track day routine especially if your not gassing up the oil .

It's very reasonably priced with fixed free shipping and I think you would like this stuff .
smile.gif

http://www.synergynracing.com/products/synracingoils.html

Another West Coast run n dump oil that might work for you under 5 bucks a quart is the synthetic 76 10w-30 High Performance Car oil .

Torco has some good race oils that are over 5 buck a quart so when one gets to that price level

Synergyn
Mobil 0w-30R
Maxima 10w-40 13.0 cSt - Maxima 5w-40
Klotz 5w-40
Castrol 5w-40 R 12.8cSt
Torco various wts

Would be oils I would personally contemplate using in that Honda .

welcome.gif
too !

[ January 04, 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by alexedge:
I know that the Mobil 1 Racing oil would be a good choice, but the only place I've seen it at locally (Super Autobacs) has it for $9.25/quart which is a **** of a lot of money for oil. That's comparable to their prices for Redline 30wt Racing Oil ($10/quart I think).

On the other hand I could just run standard Mobil 1 - would that be almost as good for my uses? If anyone can tell me why Mobil 1 Racing will be significantly better then I guess I will cough up the extra cash. If not, I will stick to standard Mobil 1.

If you go with Mobil 1 Racing, it's 0W-30 or nothing.

The Mobil 1 Racing has elevated levels of zinc and phosphorous.

You could add a quart and make the rest of the change 15W-50 or 0W-40 Mobil 1, increasing the anti-wear, getting lower oil consumption, and spending less than you'd spend on Red Line or Mobil 1 Racing by itself.

You might want to look for the MXT 10W-40 4 cycle motorcycle oil. It may be cheaper than the Mobil 1 Racing Oil, has a higher viscosity, and also has high levels of anti-wear.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:

You could add a quart and make the rest of the change 15W-50 or 0W-40 Mobil 1, increasing the anti-wear, getting lower oil consumption, and spending less than you'd spend on Red Line or Mobil 1 Racing by itself.[/QB]

I like this idea; I think I'm gonna try this. 1 quart of Mobil One Racing and 4 quarts of Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back