found out what was causing the power loss in the civic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have never suspected this...
 -

For some reason this plug failed, but still worked. It was still firing and didn't make any odd sounds at all. It would also explain the instantaneous power loss.

I just hope it was the plug alone that failed and not something else... All the other plugs look fine.

I'm no mechanic but with the appearance of the plug I'd check your spark plug wires. Might be time to replace them. Other thought is the piston rings.

I've seen plugs look like this from people using premium fuel where it's not required. Not saying you do this, but if you do, stop.

I would do a compression and or a leak-down test of all cylinders. You might want to use a hotter plug in that 1 cylinder if needed. If you have a honda and its a civic hx or vx I think they take a 1 step hotter plug then other civic models. I owned the high efficency civic hx and autozones computer said to sell the same plugs for all civics but the owners manual listed otherwise.

I didn't buy those plugs, I always buy NGK plugs. I've heard nothing but problems with these plugs, but I've never seen them break like this.

I had replaced all the other ignition parts shortly after I bought the car except for the plugs because they were "newish". I knew I was going to be replacing these with NGK's before the racing season started.

I run 87 octane with fuel power.

The new plugs with all the other new ignition stuff the car now as a much better power curve than it did when I bought the car.

I used FP since I bought the car. For the first 150 miles I got 41 MPG. The next few miles I got 45. The following tank was where I started to notice problems and got 31 mpg.

I noticed better fuel milage on the 300zx that I use, though.

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
You might want to use a hotter plug in that 1 cylinder if needed. If you have a honda and its a civic hx or vx I think they take a 1 step hotter plug then other civic models.

On the contrary I would go 1 step colder in that cylinder, and probably just the whole lot actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back