Joe Gibbs Racing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says that it is roughly a 5W20. So much for everyone saying that NASCAR uses 20W50 oils for racing.

Additive suppliers don't blend oil.

They must have subcontracted with a Blender to blend and bottle the oil.

I guess you don't need to know what's in it or much about it, after all it's NASCAR. At ten bucks a quart it better have pixie dust in it.

My guess is if they are actually using this in their race engines, they aren't going to tell you much of anything about it other than it is Group IV and Group V oils. Actually $10 a qt was cheaper than I thought it would be. Amsoil gets $6-7 for their oil that is sold at much higher volumes than this stuff.

quote:

It says that it is roughly a 5W20.

They qualify with 5wt oils and run 20wt/30wt through the entire race. The Rusty Wallace interview covered that.

I'd like to know who they worked with to help them blend it.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

It says that it is roughly a 5W20.

They qualify with 5wt oils and run 20wt/30wt through the entire race. The Rusty Wallace interview covered that.

I'd like to know who they worked with to help them blend it.

Read the FAQs on this oil. According to Joe Gibbs Racing they use this oil to qualify and race. Maybe that is what Rusty Wallace does, but evidently this is not what the Gibbs car do.

I called the main number today and spoke to a guy about it. Nice guy. Said they worked with Lubrizol directly. He said no other oil on the market was allowing them to run 9k sustained RPM's for 500 lap races. Lubrizol as most know also supply Pennzoil with their additive packages and other brands as well. He said he was referred to Lubrizol by Pennzoil. $9 something per quart.

Was that a Joe Gibbs' car blowing up at the beginning of the Daytona 500? If it was, apparently his oil didn't work it's miracles.
grin.gif

quote:

Was that a Joe Gibbs' car blowing up at the beginning of the Daytona 500? If it was, apparently his oil didn't work it's miracles.

Yes, but one of his other cars led the most laps but got snookered at the end, to not win but should have. I guess that averages things out.

quote:

Originally posted by MAJA:

quote:

Yes, but one of his other cars led the most laps but got snookered at the end, to not win but should have. I guess that averages things out.

You're correct, I wrote that at the beginning of the race. And it was a very fine snookering to boot.

Tony sure gets mad when he gets beat! He is a great driver, but I think he has some personality issues to work out. The temper tantrums are a little ridiculus.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
grin.gif

They must figure there is more money to be made selling oil than accepting sponsorship from somebody? I'm sure a team as successful as JGR could command a solid deal from one of the big name oil cos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back