What is Flat shifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search of this board and googled but couldn't find an accurate description of what this is.

The reason for the question is that Ford just had a high performance vehicle (Typhon I think, 550nm torque) dropped from contention in car of the year type competition as it broke a circlip in the clutch on not only one vehicle, but its replacement as well. Ford said that the car would not normally be driven like this and will not do a recall, but "may" provide a fix for individual units upon request, when they have the fix that is.

I believeit means changing gears with out dropping the revs
nono.gif
When you finally select gear let the clutch out WHAMMO KPUT i.e driving like a
freak2.gif
idiot.Could happen to any vehicle not just Ford.
grin.gif
GO CATS....

yep, a flat shift is a gear change where you don't lift you accelerator pedal when gear changing.
It's the sort of thing that usually only gets done on hire cars. It's bloody brutal.
Most modern race cars cut spark or fuel a little when the clutch is engaged to help the engine and 'box when this is done.

Having seen the engagement dogs out of a race car gear box of a habitual flat sifter, (non rev limited as well !) you wont want to do it on any vehicle you wanted to last. I'm sure you could imagine the stress imposed on the engine, whether rev limited or not.
Funny thing is I used to do cluthless gear changes which were probably faster than the other blokes flat changes, yet I only ever burred one dog face in three years.

Thanks guys,

thats what I thought it was but the info I read on google was somewaht confused as some were talking about not using the clutch as well.

Go to be real tough on the gearbox if your not using the clutch and not dropping revs!!

Suppose ok in racing where the gearbox is likely to be fixed fairly often. Its not what the street driver wants to do, although some do drive that way and wonder why they die so soon. I think even quick shifting straight through is going to give the syncros as hard time and lessen their life considerably.

i flat shift when i dragrace. the inertia of the engine and flywheel comming down as i dump the clutch in the next gear gives a nice little kick in my *** .

my engines fuel cutoff is 7800 rpm and i shift at 7300. its awalys bouncing off the fuel cutoff when i dump the clutch.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
i flat shift when i dragrace. the inertia of the engine and flywheel comming down as i dump the clutch in the next gear gives a nice little kick in my *** .

my engines fuel cutoff is 7800 rpm and i shift at 7300. its awalys bouncing off the fuel cutoff when i dump the clutch.

biggthumbcoffe.gif
What kind of car do you drive?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back