Are there any NASCAR racers that use just plain conventional oil in racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LarryL: I will agree with you to a point, but let me clear up any racing rumors.

Roush uses Pennzoil in his cars, and Hendricks uses Quaker State in his cars. I will also assure you that you cannot buy it in a parts store.

These oils are made special not only for different climate changes, but even for the different tracks they run. Long, short, restrictor plate, they all get different oil.

Oh, and the contract with Roush and Hendrick says they will use our oil. I'm sure it's the same with Mobil and Texaco. Don't for one minute think that the major oil companies cannot make a great racing oil. We all have techs at these shops working closely with the engineers and engine builders of these teams.

Oh, as for as putting advertising on my personal car, give me enough money and you can write TAMPON in big letters all over it.
grin.gif

Johnny is correct. Shell works very close with Ferrari and formulates specifically for them. Same goes with Castrol, Mobil and Texaco. The oils in these cars are nothing like what is bought at Walmart. Your talking about 0w-5 qualifying oils with loads of ZDP. I believe the rumors that "don't believe what is on the outside is on the inside" comes from Amsoil. They used to have some ridiculous figure that 85% of racers chose S2000. When I spoke with the guy that sells Joe Gibbs racing oil, he said he didn't know anyone that used Amsoil. Amsoil is not a racing oil, it's an extended drain oil. Two different animals in many aspects.

Just for the record, for impound races, an oil change is not an approved change between qualifying and race day. I would guess that by next year all races will be 2-day (maybe even 1-day) shows and will have the impound rule in effect.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Another thing you might want to know about contracts in NASCAR and other types of racing. In plain words it goes something like this. The car is 'advertising space' for sale. The advertising says, use this product it's good. It does not say that the team or the car or the driver has to use the product or service, just supply the advertising space. So, by contract you could have a car that has a banner on the side that says 'Dixie Super-Duper Oil' with and engine that is running on some other oil. It is understood that if the engine blows up, it does not mean that the oil is at fault. It does mean that if the car wins the banner 'Dixie Super-Duper Oil' gets a lot more exposure. In other words, if you think you can figure out anything about what oil is really flowing around that engine because of the decals on the body, then you could be wrong. The oil in that engine is probably a mix that is very special and very expensive and very secret.

Just like the Chevy, Ford and Dodge decals for headlights and grills. Those frames, other than Rousch, are built by Hopkins and Laughlin. When they're being built, they're they same, be it a Dodge, Chevy, or Ford.

The SC in NASCAR is not Stock Car.
The SC is for South Carolina where most are built.

actually, it stands for Non-Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

smile.gif

They'll put any sticker on their car for the $$
As long as another sponsor isnt' paying them more to not do it (for Example you will never see a Coke logo anywhere on Jeff Gordon's car)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back