Are there any NASCAR racers that use just plain conventional oil in racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember where I read it but, I heard not all NASCAR teams run synthetic motor oil in their engines. Is this true? Do some really use just plain old conventional motor oil?

None of the teams are going to tell you what they use because it is secret. I would bet that every Nextel Cup team uses synthetic oil in their engines, but there is no way of knowing.

Most of these things you read on the internet are started by someone who thinks they know everything, or they are just starting stories.

Rob,as far as I can tell,No one uses just a off the shelf oil conventional or syn based.

Most doctor the heck out whatever they run and syn and syn blends are common.

I have seen engine techs and crew chief's make the most bizarre formulations that make the Molabrews pale in comparison here at BITOG..

If they can squeeze another 1/10 horsepower from the engine by switching oils, they'll do it whatever the cost.

Of course this past year they used special oils fo rqualifying vs. races.

Next year NASCAR is starting a confiscation process like they have in F1 where the cars can't be worked on between qualifying, practice, and racing, but only at some tracks.

I know that Dale Earnhardt Jr. is running AMSOIL Severe Gear in the diff. They came directly to AMSOIL Corporate in 2004 when they continued to have trouble with all the special oils and brews.

I've heard that at least four NASCAR teams run AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 for qualifying. I don't know what they switch to (or that they switch) for the main race.

The original formula for Series 2000 gear lube was put together to keep The Unser's Pike's Peak differentials alive. "AMSOIL is the Best Lubricant made, the Standard by which all others are judged." Bobby Unser

Happy New Year All,
Andy

quote:

I've heard that at least four NASCAR teams run AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 for qualifying. I don't know what they switch to (or that they switch) for the main race.

The original formula for Series 2000 gear lube was put together to keep The Unser's Pike's Peak differentials alive. "AMSOIL is the Best Lubricant made, the Standard by which all others are judged." Bobby Unser

I know that many teams like Ryan Newman run a 0w-5 oil for qualifying then switch to 0w-30 R. Don't think Amsoil is found in any pro-NASCAR teams. Differentials is another story.

Surprised RL doesn't show up more in NASCAR.
dunno.gif

Actually....Jeff Gordon would run the engine on LARD if Crisco would write a big enough check....LOL.... What they run in those engines has no relevence whatsoever to what might work good in a passenger car on the street. Nothing. Racing engines like that need to live and make power in a very narrow band of RPM for 3 hours...period. Then they are trash. Don't base your oil purchases by what is on the side of race cars. It is called MARKETING...not racing.

quote:

Originally posted by bbobynski:
Actually....Jeff Gordon would run the engine on LARD if Crisco would write a big enough check....LOL.... What they run in those engines has no relevence whatsoever to what might work good in a passenger car on the street. Nothing. Racing engines like that need to live and make power in a very narrow band of RPM for 3 hours...period. Then they are trash. Don't base your oil purchases by what is on the side of race cars. It is called MARKETING...not racing.

yes!! $100,000 a year and I will put Slick 50 in my engine.The synthetic type.

I read on the Mobil 1 site awhile back that 70% or 75% of NASCAR run on Mobil 1 oils. What oil they did not say.

quote:

Originally posted by bbobynski:

Umm, have you been following any current racing rules and technology, BBY? You have managed to sandwich (club sandwich, actually) valid facts in between some pretty thin speculation and plain ole nonsense.

F1 engines have to last 2 race weekends, at over 300 HP/liter and 18,000 RPM. Not contant RPM btw.

NASCAR engines ( about 150 HP/liter@and a snazzy- for-pushrods 9000 RPM)have to last for practice, qualifying, and the race, which adds up to a little more than 3 hours.

As to the Gordon comment, Crisco DOES have as car in Busch, and gee, they don't run it as engine oil. Do you really think a team would risk reliability for a minor sponsor, whose main inducement is to provide contingency $$?
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
I'll drive an orange, VW beetle, that has big black letters on it that spell out FRAM, if the moneys right.

Yeah, but would you do the same if it said 'Brawny"?

BTW I think I still have some Kodachrome 25 in the freezer.
wink.gif

Another thing you might want to know about contracts in NASCAR and other types of racing. In plain words it goes something like this. The car is 'advertising space' for sale. The advertising says, use this product it's good. It does not say that the team or the car or the driver has to use the product or service, just supply the advertising space. So, by contract you could have a car that has a banner on the side that says 'Dixie Super-Duper Oil' with and engine that is running on some other oil. It is understood that if the engine blows up, it does not mean that the oil is at fault. It does mean that if the car wins the banner 'Dixie Super-Duper Oil' gets a lot more exposure. In other words, if you think you can figure out anything about what oil is really flowing around that engine because of the decals on the body, then you could be wrong. The oil in that engine is probably a mix that is very special and very expensive and very secret.

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
With the new rules do they not have to keep the same oil in for the next days race?

As far as I understand, the NASCAR rules for using the same engine for the whole weekend have degenerated to the heads, crank, rods, and pistons have to stay with the engine--even the carburetor can be changed excepting the restrictor plate at restrictor plate tracks.

Changing oil, pushrods, rocker arms, main and rod bearings, oil pumps, and ancilaries are still all free game. So, basically, the whole engine excepting a couple of dozen parts gets overhauled each night.

Most teams switch the oil after each and every practice session--as cheap insurance to prevent premature wearout of the parts that cannot be changed under the 'one engine' rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back