solo2driver, I thing I've found a problem you may have already run into...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No power in fourth and fifth gear above 2500 rpm. Poor power in third gear. Car doesn't move under WOT.

Could this be a float issue? Is this why you were recommending a seafoam treatment?

What kind of car do you have???
dunno.gif

update on the problem. It seemed to get better after I added fuel. Once that happened it was intermittant. It still didn't seem like all the power was there, however, I don't completely believe in the seat of the pants method, so I can't definitively say that it was back to full or still down on power.

So far the two most reliable problems I've come to so far are the float or the charcol canister. I will check the canister next time I go driving (by loosening the gas cap and seeing how the problem changes).

Is this what the seafoam is for?

Carb, carb, or the carb. Sometimes its just as easy as tracking down the correct auto-parts-store rebuild kit and only replacing the accelerator pump (short dowel with leather and spring seal) and tuning the A/F mixture with an exhaust gas analyzer...most good Honda shops should have no problem tuning the carb for you at a very reasonable cost.

The SeaFoam Experiment is often used as a gigantic catch-all band-aid that usually cures most carb-related problems, assuming the carb and its internals are good. A good de-gunking never hurts, but if the carb is not adjusted properly then you are swimming against the current.

Make sure and double-check that all of your vacuum lines are connected, and to their correct locations. We used to go over each connection with the diagram, then zip-tie (the little black ones) each hose in the right spot...if you've ever owned a Mazda Rotary-powered car, you are well-familiar with this concept.

Also make sure that BOTH fuel filters have been replaced....one "primary" at the fuel tank, and the small "secondary" just after the mechanical fuel pump (located on the engine). The little one at the motor almost never gets changed, and can show up as apparent fuel-starve conditions.

That should keep you busy, and probably out no more than $12 with the SeaFoam, zip-ties, and both filters. Good luck!

-JamesW
Suzuki tagged a valve :-( bad noises, bad!

I haven't changed the fuel filters yet (usually one of the first things I do) because I haven't gotten that far into the car yet. But will definately do that.

The car had been running fine for the previous 500 miles, just randomly going around a medium interstate bend it just lost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back