Oil starvation on the short oval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working with a local racing team that has just completed a full season of small car(stock)enduro racing on a 1/4 mile paved oval. The vehicle is a 1987 VW Jetta coupe with the standard, SOHC 1.8ltr engine.
The problem which we encountered throughout the year was some intermittent top-end clatter while accellerating, especially during the highest G-point in the corners. Naturally, we attributed the problem to oil starvation. But since this is a stock racing class, we are not able to install a higher volume oil pump without breaking the rules. Does anyone have any remedies for such a problem?

BTW - Castrol High Mileage 20W50 and Mann oil filters were used.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Not even allowed to install a baffled oil pan?

Nope. Unless we could prove a low-end baffle was original equipment, it couldn't be used. We did try replacing the OE cam baffle(the original was cracked, but the problem persisted.

quote:

So you're not allowed to make any modifications to the engine?

That's correct. Its designed as a totally stock, low budget, entry-level class. The cars are completely stripped down to the bare essentials(no glass). Doors must be chained or welded closed. Bumpers, hood, and trunk must be secured. Fuel cell, cage, and racing seat are required. They run 75-100 lap events, no qualifier. Average field was 20-30 cars...yes, it got quite crowded on that tiny oval.

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:
Average field was 20-30 cars...yes, it got quite crowded on that tiny oval.

I'd say. 1/4 mile is the same size as the track I run around!

Given that you can't make any mechanical modifications, I believe the best you can do is choose an oil and filter better suited for this style "driving".

Why have you been running Castrol HM 20w-50...or should I ask what made you choose this product?

Try Redline 10w-40 and the Mann filter and let me know how that works.

If still has issues, switch to a K&N oil filter.

Enjoy the improved lubrication and take a sample for us to "read" for you.

If your owner is resistant to Redline I can "brew" a oil for you after seeing the analysis.

Mobil 1 15w-50: Nineteen dollars and change for five quarts at Wal-Mart.

K&N Oil Filter: Better suited for this application. Available at your local AutoZone.

[ November 19, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Why have you been running Castrol HM 20w-50...or should I ask what made you choose this product?
Well, that particular choice was made by the car owner. I think he gets the Castrol HM at a very good price. He started the season(April) using 10w40, but changed to 20w50 in the warmer summer months. Also, he was using Fram filters until I convinced him to switch over to Mann. The car did pick up a few more lbs of oil pressure after that switch.

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:

quote:

So you're not allowed to make any modifications to the engine?

That's correct. Its designed as a totally stock, low budget, entry-level class. The cars are completely stripped down to the bare essentials(no glass). Doors must be chained or welded closed. Bumpers, hood, and trunk must be secured. Fuel cell, cage, and racing seat are required. They run 75-100 lap events, no qualifier. Average field was 20-30 cars...yes, it got quite crowded on that tiny oval.

That sounds like a **** of a lot of fun. What are the requirements to enter? Sure wish they did that sort of thing around here.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:

That sounds like a **** of a lot of fun. What are the requirements to enter? Sure wish they did that sort of thing around here. [/QUOTE]

Check out this link. All of the rules & regs are there. Also, VWF Racing is our team webpage.

About the starvation problem, I do think a change to one of the previously mentioned oils would help. Does M1 or Redline have any moly/boron in thier add. pack? We've been changing the oil/filter after each race. Do you think we could go a few more races on a fill of the better quality synths?

i took a look at the rules. much is up to interpretation, and it basically says discretion is left to the tech inspector. so, you might want to ask the inspector before trying anything.

that said, my suggestion is to run one of the canton-mecca accusumps. it can plumb into a stock fitting somewhere, like where the oil filter sensor would go. check it out on their website.

-michael

As far as the starvation problem, have you tried overfilling the engine? It's a common problem with some models and overfill is a common solution with stock engines. Sustained high rpm running leaves too much oil in the top of the engine and leaves too little near the pickup during high-g manuevers. It's a simple thing to try along with better oil and a high flow filter as was mentioned...

Overfilling may help. Don't use a bigger oil pump, it will pump the pan dry sooner. Can you move the oil pickup a couple of inches to help?

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 Blend. http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/700.pdf or http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/705.pdf
How many laps do you run?
Many of our racers report a temp drop in oil of 20-30 degrees and pick -up tq and hp. Drain every 3-4 nights.

salesrep, eh?? Hmmmm....I like your suggestion, but I'd like it even more if the oil was free and we had a "Schaeffer's" logo on the side of the Jetta for the `05 season.
cool.gif
(j/k - I never pass up an opportunity to razz potential sponsors)

btw - We were running mostly 75 lap events, but that may change next year.

lol.gif
Thanks for asking!! The only way freebies work in the race business is if the teams become mini distributors and begin selling it to others or they have other businesses with lubrication needs as an offset.
75 laps? Bet you could change every other we with the Supreme line.

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
The only way freebies work in the race business is...

Really? `Cause I thought sponsors were more easily obtained by proven winners ....my bad
wink.gif

Thanks, salesrep...we'll take Schaeffer's products under serious consideration come next year. Extending our current OCI would be a big plus.

[ November 24, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

Just a brief update on VWF Racing....

We managed to pick up 2 more sponsors this year. One provided a stock rebuilt 1.8ltr VW engine and the other(a local VW/Audi dealer)is providing us w/OE oil filters and Castrol Syntec(BC)5W40 for the entire season. No, its not our 1st oil choice either...but if its good enough for an Audi W12 it should be OK in a measly 1.8.
So far, we're 2nd in the points standings(only 10pts out of 1st). Our driver has managed to pull out 2 1st place finishes. The new motor is running strong. Oil pressure is pretty good w/BC and the starvation problem is nonexistant(..must have been the old motor
dunno.gif
). We hope to be in 1st place after this coming Sat. evening.
burnout.gif

[ June 30, 2005, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back