Anyone remember caster bean oil for racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long time ago we used to use caster bean oil. It's a pain to work with but it really works. I wonder if modern synthetics have better film strength?

I remember it. I think only hard core racers used it because it gummed up the engine so bad that they had to be torn down every few hours of use.

is that the stuff that smells good in a 2cycle exhaust, kind of a sweet exhaust smell?

i would LOVE to run that stuff in my car. its just the best car smell ever!

Castrol, among others, still make it.

Castrol R30 and R40.

Used to use it in rotary and reed valve kart engines. Left over fuel used to go in my cars petrol tank. Always used to get some funny looks idling at a set of lights.
grin.gif

Castor oil is also a natural laxative.... breathing the fumes was a source of much upholstery work in WW1 aircraft.

Castrol is short for caster oil. Anybody else attend the SCCA races at Cumberland Maryland in the 60's? Do you remember the Vettes passing the Cobras in the corners?

I used to use castor oil in my 2 stroke lawn mower, because it made that chore so much more enjoyable.

I mate still uses straight 30 castor oil in his methanol powered rail, as it handles methanol dilution a bit better. (Also adds a drop int the fuel).

I remember the older 4 cam Porsche hill climbers running bean oil. The sights, sounds and smells or racing. Thats probably why I ran Castrol R in my Penton six day back then.

Caster is still the best natural lubricant. Rape oil, (from the rape seed) is in the same leaque when it comes to high temperature film strength and boundry layer lubrication. Castrol "R" is still offered for sale because it is still used when "nothing else will work"...

Seems to me that the problem with castor oil was not that it gummed up after a few hours' use, but that it should not remain in the engine after shutdown. Cooling after high-temperature use caused the gumming, and once it happened, a total engine teardown was necessary to get the gunk out (and even then it might not be possible to unlock the engine). Is this correct, or am I off a little?

[ January 10, 2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: ekrampitzjr ]

I ran castor pre-mix in my Jet Ski back in the day.

Had to inhale a lot of exhust puttering thru no-wake zones, I figured it made the smell a bit more bearable.

Where do you think all those elves come from that are in the GC.

Ignatz: I have not thought about Penton cycles in years. Those were great bikes. I had two of them back in the day. I still use bean oil in my old Sthil weed wacker. It does smell good.
smile.gif

It's been a while, but wasn't Dewcoat 2 cycle oil castor oil based?
Worked well, but gummed up things in short order. Was OK for short lived MX bikes.

My favorite topic! Castrol still makes A747, a great, bean based racing oil. Love that smell, but uses today are more limited. But for an air cooled vintage bike, almost nothing beats bean for keeping it lubed because of castors affinity for heat, and it's natural degradation into smaller parts called platlets. In todays water cooled apps, bean is just a dirtier oil, period.

I was sponsored by Maxima for quite a few years in '88-'93 or so. got to know the guys pretty good there. And who could ever forget the 'dogger' or ron lechien, (**** lechien's son). now there was one smooth rider, never trained a day and thumped them anytime he was truly 'motivated'.. anyway, I ran the castor for a while but it separated terribly in cool weather, and ultimately caused quite a few issues before I switched over to the 927. very similar properties and performed as well w/out the headaches... good stuff and still had the smell just not as potent....
44H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back