Mobil 1 Racing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing some background work for another thread and came across the Mobil 1 racing site where they say 74% of NASCAR runs on Mobil 1 racing oil.

Given that some of the cars are sponsered by other oil companies the 74% must represent the vast majority of those "free' to choose whatever oil they want.

I would figure a racing team's first concern is to have the engine stay together for the duration of the race. The second concern would be to get maximum performance from the engine.

With the $$ the teams are spending for engines they must figure Mobil 1 is as good or better than whatever else is available.

I can't imagine putting a $50,000 (pure guess) engine at any more risk than they have to as they persue the quest of the millions of dollars that go to the winners. $300 of oil A verses oil B is truly a "drop in the bucket".

Anyone see this a different way?

No doubt M1 is a good product, but the real reason is that Mobil is the "official oil" of NASCAR. So each team is indirectly sponsored by Mobil, and for those teams that are not tied to proprietary oil sponsorships, they get product and/or lubes support from Mobil.

I'm still wondering how this oil will work as an extended drain oil in a street car. Could someone please do this soon and do a UOA so I don't have to...

I haven't looked at the online availability yet. I know it's not available locally. Nothing is around here. I'd just like to see a UOA where it's been run a longer interval...

Well, Murray's has it around here, but I've got too much back-stock to use first. It's also about $2 - $3 more per quart. I would certainly be interested to see some results, though.

I'm 6K miles into a 10K mile interval with GC in my 4Runner. If no one has done a 7K-10K mile UOA with M1R by the time I need to change, I'll order some and run it 10K miles...

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
If no one has done a 7K-10K mile UOA with M1R by the time I need to change, I'll order some and run it 10K miles...

You're the man, jsharp.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
If no one has done a 7K-10K mile UOA with M1R by the time I need to change, I'll order some and run it 10K miles...

You're the man, jsharp.
cheers.gif

Unless it's *really* diferent than other formulations of M1 I think it should be safe to do this. I've run M1 5W-30 10K miles in that truck without problems. The standard OCI is 7500 miles...

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
I was doing some background work for another thread and came across the Mobil 1 racing site where they say 74% of NASCAR runs on Mobil 1 racing oil.

Given that some of the cars are sponsered by other oil companies the 74% must represent the vast majority of those "free' to choose whatever oil they want.

I would figure a racing team's first concern is to have the engine stay together for the duration of the race. The second concern would be to get maximum performance from the engine.

With the $$ the teams are spending for engines they must figure Mobil 1 is as good or better than whatever else is available.

I can't imagine putting a $50,000 (pure guess) engine at any more risk than they have to as they persue the quest of the millions of dollars that go to the winners. $300 of oil A verses oil B is truly a "drop in the bucket".

Anyone see this a different way?

Hendrick motorsports uses Quaker State .

You know I also wonder, do you think they have a separate oil for qualifying than for the race itself?

The head of hendrick's r&d engine dept. that put out 675 engines to racers recommends Schaeffer's.
Bike wries" don't believe any of the faster Nascar teams suffer oil related failures just component failures despite all that goes into checking , rechecking and triple checking the initial quality of the parts used ." They tear the car completely apart after races keeping very few parts as one guy put it they could almost **** in these engines and they would run.
Rcr is another that qualifies in busch and nextel with Schaeffer's 5-30 and 10-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back