which oil would you recommend for a diesel pulling tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, which oil would you guys recommend for an International DT 466 that I have in my pulling tractor. The engine is a single-turbo charged 6 cylinder diesel. The problem I have is from fuel dilution, we try to pump so much fuel into this engine that the oil gets diluted pretty bad from just a couple of pulls. Right now I end up changing the oil (3.5 gallons) after every weekend of pulling. I have been using Rotella 15-40 with some Lucas added in. I didnt want to use synthetics because the oil is only in the pan for two passes and the synthetics are quite pricey. What would you recommend??
thanks

Welcome !

Mystik 15w-50 " not the 15w-40 " is less than 25 bucks for a 5 gallon pail . I'd use it with no additives and dump it like you have been doing .

Kinda like dumping methanol soaked oil with low time on it, part of the program when racing
smile.gif

I have never heard of Mystik oil...is there a certain retail chain that handles it? I will probably have to look around for a thicker oil, I usually go to Advance or Autozone because they are close to the shop. Thanks for the info!!

Citgo has a marketor locator or the yellow pages of your phone book might tell of a Mystik or Citgo dealer near you .

Here are some single grades and other Citgo oils to look at .

I did not look to see if any of them were heavy enough for your use .The Mystik lubes are also at the Citgo site .

Citgo

quote:

Originally posted by Tractor puller 966:
I have a question, which oil would you guys recommend for an International DT 466 that I have in my pulling tractor. The engine is a single-turbo charged 6 cylinder diesel. The problem I have is from fuel dilution, we try to pump so much fuel into this engine that the oil gets diluted pretty bad from just a couple of pulls. Right now I end up changing the oil (3.5 gallons) after every weekend of pulling. I have been using Rotella 15-40 with some Lucas added in. I didnt want to use synthetics because the oil is only in the pan for two passes and the synthetics are quite pricey. What would you recommend??
thanks

you problem is not the oil, but rather the excessive blowby....

He is just looking for a lower cost oil to run and then dump .

I posted about the Mystik because it's the only low cost 50wt I know of and it's loaded to the hilt with additives .

Yeah, the 466 is a stong-'ol engine.

Given the engine and application though, I'd just run a top-quality HDEO 15w-40 from Wal-Mart (Delo, Delvac, Long-Life, Rotella) and keep the same change intervals.

DO NOT USE ANY LUCAS!

i've heard good things about the valvoline vr-1 20w50 racing oil. it's a street/strip oil that unlike most pure racing oils, contains a good detergent. cheap to boot, at around 2 dollars and some change a quart.
burnout.gif

How about some pictures of the tractor, the smokier the better!!As far as oil goes mystic is great stuff but,delo is easier to find.Perhaps some schmoozing with the local jobber get's the price lower!
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
You may want to consider Schaeffer's 7000 blend. I am hearing good things from pullers.

Oh, the mental imagery of teenage boys with 20" forearms.

sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back