choosing gear oil, does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the temperature range that I am planning on running in, my option is limited to a 75w-90. I do solo II (aka, autocross) in a relatively low powered car. I do about 30 events a year and do launch and shift the car hard. Car is driven to event and not trailored. Car is a Nissan 300zx with the r200 open rear end (if any of you guys cared) I don't remember the number for the trans, but it is the same as the five speed in the 240sx.

Looking for a synthetic gear oil for trans and diff. All major brands are redily available, but was curious if there is something else I should look into purchasing for the vehicle. I'm not afraid to order off the internet, so web suggestions are also welcomed.

Nissan states that below 65 degrees, a 75w-90 is needed.

I will be racing anywhere from -20F to 100F. Ice racing in the winter, solo II in the summer.

Kina off topic but brand wise I went to the boat drags some guys used Redline ,some Synergyn,Some Amsoil etc. Pick a favorite brand and it probably will be equal to the others.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
kind of sounds like the right application for redline shockproof lighweight.

-michael

are you going to give any insight to your conclusion?

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Kina off topic but brand wise I went to the boat drags some guys used Redline ,some Synergyn,Some Amsoil etc. Pick a favorite brand and it probably will be equal to the others.

That's what I was thinking too. I was curious if there was any sort of oil that was known to work better for my application, but I couldn't seem to find anything from searching the site.

[ June 17, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Pyrek ]

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:
are you going to give any insight to your conclusion?

awww, do i have to?

redline's description says it's good for racing and extreme service where diff temps are not extremely high. i believe auto-x and ice racing probably fill that bill.

maybe not the ice racing, i don't know, but i can hold my hand on the diff after a few auto-x runs. (whereas i can't after a 15-minute highway drive.)

-michael

I have to agree with Michael SR for your application. Redline's Shockproof gear oils stick and stick to differential gears, bearings, housings..well you get my point. Unique stuff in that regard. My experience with the Shockproof gear oil, is that it appears to give the least amount of wear of any gear oil I've tried in my application (and I've tried many different brands and formulations including Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple etc). I do not do oil analysis on my gear oil, but I have the ol' magnetic drain plug. I also reflect drained gear oil in the sun and look at the "sparkley" reflection of suspended metal in the oil. Very little metal powder or shavings when I use Shockproof oils compared to others. Shockproof oils also reduce gear noise on my "500 lbs/ft. of torque" daily driver. I run the GM 10 bolt w/ 3.73 gears in a car that weights 3700 lbs. I don't abuse the car, but I do take up the occasional stoplight challenge of a Riceburn
smile.gif
or Pick'em up truck. I use Heavy weight Shockproof year round. In your application I'd use the Lightweight. If the specs for your tranny permit it, Redline MTL in the tranny (5 speed correct?). FYI, the next best gear oil I've found is Schaeffer's 80-90 blend. Good luck.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back