Best oil for racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running AMSOIL 20W50 in my VW jetta.
The engine likes it but I feel the oil is too thick. Since I race Solo events each run takes about less than 5 min. Should I be using 10W40?

Are there any other oil that is better than AMS at lower price?

I can get Mobile 1 for about $6 a liter AMS costs me $9.2 Castrol is about $6 too but I heard both Mobile and castrol are not true synthetic oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
My BOSCH mechanic uses it in customer cars and real European race cars that compete head-to-head.

As opposed to ...?

what is the oil temp at the end of a run? what's the hottest it ever gets?

in a typical auto-x the oil in my vette sees 180F at most. based on that i think a 0w30 or 5w30 would be best.

if i were open tracking it and seeing 250-300 degree temps, i'd likely be running a 20w50.

-michael

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
My BOSCH mechanic uses it in customer cars and real European race cars that compete head-to-head.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As opposed to ...?

Weekend Warriors
tongue.gif

I really like the 20w 50's in V8 engines.

The best thing I like about Pennzoil GT Performance 20w 50 is that it is quite thin as a 50w, but has a great HT/HS rating. So it will flow well and hold up under extreme conditions well

Kickster, run the thinnest most stable oil you can. Use the 100cSt viscosity as a guide while using oil analysis to confirm your testing.

Keep a close eye on oil and head temps. Use temp tape or IR thermometer to record temps like you would do with a pyrometer.

Since you also drive this daily a oil should not be designed purely for racing.

For a Jetta do a search on Tyrolkid here on BITOG, he builds some very nice high HP racing setups with VW Audi HIPO stuff.

Good Luck and
welcome.gif
to BITOG.

kickster

Do NOT sacrifice protection for a bit more HP by running too thin an oil for your use UNLESS you are trying to set a record that wins/makes you money .

It's just not worth it .

Your correct , the 20w-50 is a bit much for your motor .

Where you live oils from the USA are hard to come by and expensive. I'd certainly look into the locally available Motul since they now have a Canadian Distributor set up .There are a couple other brands up there that come to mind as well .

Good luck with it
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
Is Motul any better than AMSOIL?

It's not about brands it's about what product in a given brands line is best for you and Motul is relatively inexpensive where you live and according to your first post you are looking for a good oil at lower cost .

Quote:
"Are there any other oil that is better than AMS at lower price? "

My recommendation is to dig in and learn about these various oils available to you then pick one based on a educated decision .

Little info has really been given about these two cars you have but it might even be best to use a dino performance oil in one and dump it after a couple sessions and a nice synlube in the other daily driver.
There are many ways to get a job done and many oils for the job , even in Canada .
smile.gif

It makes more sense to use dino oil ad dump it every month or after 2 or 3 events. However I have heard that under extreme conditions when temp and engine rpm is high dino oil can not protect bearings. The overall temp maybe within specs but at certain places in the engine temp will be much higher than normal and Dino simply cant cut it. I am not sure how true that is that is why I am here asking million questions.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back