Picked up 11rwhp with a dyno tune on my LT1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I finally decided to get my car dyno tuned to improve on it's performance, and we found an extra 11rwhp from it, and most importantly, we flattened the torque curve big time, and were able to add more than 30ft lbs of torque to the midrange!! It's like a new car now! It'll easily run two tenths quicker in the quarter mile now.

We tracked down an intake elbow leak too, which caused the engine to run too lean, at 14:1. This is why my car always ran so strongly before, because it was so lean. Initially my car made 254rwhp with a catback being it's only mod. A typical LT1 automatic like that should only make about 235 to 240rwhp. So once we solved that problem we could then tune it properly and get the horsepower and torque curves nice and flat and got the a/f ratio to 12.5 to 1 in the end and got 265rwhp. They suspect I need new plugs, and that could also help give me another pony or two.

It's amazing how much power is lost in the stock programming on a high performance V8 like this. Initially it was running as much as 38 degrees total timing, but he bumped it down to 30, so it'll live nicely on 91 octane and will not get any knock retard on hot days.

It's too bad it won't be until the fall before I see cold enough temps to improve upon my best ET though. I might be able to match my 13.68/100.4 in the heat, but probably won't beat it. I fully expect to run 13.45 to 13.49 this fall, if not better. Not bad for an LT1 with 102k on it!

And as an added bonus, without the air leak, my silicon in oil analysis should be much lower, making my wear numbers even better than they already were!

Congrats Patman. Tuning is well worth it for these LT1 @ LS1's. With my last cam I gained 14rwhp @ 10rwtq peak and a solid 10rwtq @ rwhp across the board with an LS1 Edit dynotune. After my stage II head install is complete I will be making a trip to have another tune done. BTW what tuning software was used?

I saw the name of the tuning software but I forgot it! Maybe it was Mastertune? Something like that.
dunno.gif

The guy who did the tuning is Vince McCauley, he runs an LT1 Camaro that has gone 9.0 at 160mph! He's built a new motor and is looking at 8.5s to 8.6s this season!
worshippy.gif

Nice numbers Patman. I only know of 2 programs that will reprogram an LT1 pcm they are LT1 Edit(versions for OBD1 and 2 easier to use but costly and poor service) and Tunercat, which is slightly harder to navigate but cost under $100 service and support are wonderful.

I dynoed my Caprice the other day and put a reliable 260 to the ground, spikes a little higher but the 260 held for a couple hundered rpms. After trying that once I will certainly be going back to try some tuning, but probably not till I do a bit more to the engine. There is a chassis dyno just 20 minutes from home.
grin.gif
Oh I ran on a Superflow do you know what yours was run on?

Yep, mine was done on a Dynojet. And the place is located only 10min from my house too!
smile.gif

Now that I think about it, I think it was Tunercat he was using.

After driving the car some more, I'm even more impressed with the tuning! My car shifts so much quicker into the next gear now, with no lag, and it's got a lot more power down low even when I'm not at WOT. Right off idle I can feel a difference in torque.

I can't wait to burn up the quarter mile now!
burnout.gif
fruit.gif

Yeah reprogramming does so much more than just power, it really improves drivability at least with an auto. I think it even helps the M6 guys because you can defeat the CAGS. I have LT1 Edit but am having trouble with that computer and can't find all the files so I can save it, it needs the OS reinstalled and a new screen(laptop) I am about ready to just put it on ebay as parts and get a different laptop with TC since there are more tables and better service for half the cost of LT1 Edit. Would you mind scanning your dyno sheets and emailing them to me, I kind of thought my torque was down and would like to see what you had for numbers and an AFR at different points. I would be glad to send you mne if you want to have a look.

I wish I had my dyno sheets to scan in, but he didn't print them out for me, I had to get going plus he had another car waiting to go on the rollers.
frown.gif

I'm going to be going back again for more fine tuning once I get my plugs changed, and we'll make a couple more pulls and I'll get the printouts this time for sure.

My air/fuel ratio looked real nice at the end of the tuning session too, it was a nice straight line at 12.5 to 1.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
How much $$ did this end up costing Patman?

It was $320 Canadian, but it would've been much less if we didn't have to spend the extra time to fix the intake elbow problem, as we would've had one hour less dyno time to worry about. It would've only been about $220 Canadian. But even at $320, that's less than another big shop in Toronto charges for dyno tuning, and they aren't as good as this guy is when it comes to LT1 tuning.

From this point on, if I want to get it fine tuned, it'll be much less since we'll only need one or two quick dyno pulls to get things in order.

I will definitely be getting this car dyno tuned a few more times (after each modification I make) and when I get my C5 it'll be the first thing I do (he's getting the software to do LS1s soon)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
How much $$ did this end up costing Patman?

It was $320 Canadian, but it would've been much less if we didn't have to spend the extra time to fix the intake elbow problem, as we would've had one hour less dyno time to worry about. It would've only been about $220 Canadian. But even at $320, that's less than another big shop in Toronto charges for dyno tuning, and they aren't as good as this guy is when it comes to LT1 tuning.

From this point on, if I want to get it fine tuned, it'll be much less since we'll only need one or two quick dyno pulls to get things in order.

I will definitely be getting this car dyno tuned a few more times (after each modification I make) and when I get my C5 it'll be the first thing I do (he's getting the software to do LS1s soon)

Makes sense, I was just curious. You got 11 hp for $230. I don't think it's too much $$. I was guessing about $150 USD...

[ May 18, 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

That seems like an excellent price for a dyno tune Patman! If you can get your car into the 13.4x range that would put you with a completely bone stock LS1. My 2002 WS6 ran 13.41 on its maiden run and my old 1998 Z28 ran a 13.54 and that is at sea level in Houston Raceway Park.

Les

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
That seems like an excellent price for a dyno tune Patman! If you can get your car into the 13.4x range that would put you with a completely bone stock LS1. My 2002 WS6 ran 13.41 on its maiden run and my old 1998 Z28 ran a 13.54 and that is at sea level in Houston Raceway Park.

Les

I'm already right on par with what my own LS1 ran bone stock, it went 13.68 also, but at a higher 102.9 mph (my LT1's best mph is 100.4)

Although my LS1 only had 700 miles on it at the time, and I was shifting it 400rpm too soon (shifted that first day at 5800 and later found out that 6200 gave me better ETs) LS1s also seem to really wake up with more miles on it. Later that same year, with more break in mileage, plus a ported MAF, modified EGR tube, timing tricker, and an MTI airbox, it went 13.08 at 108.4mph. Total cost of those mods was under $50! (the MTI airbox was a copy I bought for $20!)

I'll have to spend a lot more than $50 if I want to run quicker than that with my LT1!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Here's a dumb question fer ya' Patman, what oil are you running in your beast right now?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

I'm still running GC 0w30 in it. I'm currently at the beginning of my 4th interval with this oil. I'll have a UOA to post tonight from a short 3k interval (shortened since I knew it got contaminated with fuel) and then I'm going to run this latest batch all the way until the weather begins to turn cold (my cutoff point will be once we regularily start going below 50F overnight here) so I'm hoping to get as much as 8k on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back