royal purple info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Royal Purple dont give it out but has anyone managed to sneak out some info in a moment of weakness?

I am maninly talking about the racing oils here.is any info available?

We've got a couple of UOAs posted with Royal Purple's racing oils on this site and they look very good! Their racing oil is definitely a very well built oil.

I`m not offering any hard facts, and I`m sure using it will do no harm as I`m sure there products are decent, but I think it is mostly marketing hype and I personaly think Amsoil, Mobil1 oils will still outperform the purple stuff.

Hi Quick16
I do not have one. Even if I did, it would be used for reference on future samples of used oil from the same batch. Determining the quality of an oil from a UOA is disengenuous. If we used this method GC would never have been used, as it had more fe than used samples of competitive oils. If you need the VOA, buy some and have it done. Run some if your vehicle and have a further test done. After a series of UOA, you can determine the wear characteristics of the oil in your motor, under your conditions. I realise that you want some reassurances that the oil will do what it is advertised to do. That is why we have Product liability insurance. The least it will do ,is protect as well as any other 10W-40.

"If you need the VOA, buy some and have it done. Run some if your vehicle and have a further test done. After a series of UOA, you can determine the wear characteristics of the oil in your motor, under your conditions."

I appreciate the advise.
grin.gif

If have paid for 3 or 4 VOA's (posted them all here)recently and was hoping as popular as this oil is, that someone has already done a VOA. Guess I'm surprised that you don't have that data or do not want to share it. As good and as expensive as RP41 oil is, I'd think a representative would be ready to talk up the great chemistry that it may have backed with real data. The cloak of secret around RP is kind of interesting. It can't be out of fear of some top secret formula cause anything can be copied these days. Vavoline, Amsoil, Kendall, Schaffers...

I'm not trying to dis the product just do not understand the cloak and dagger necessity.
confused.gif

Hi Quick 16,
I am not trying to hide anything. RP is not trying to hide anything. I can send you the "Typicals" on our oil for you to compare your used samples to. This is what I do for my Industrial customers.
Every time a salesman talks up his product he is harrassed by the naysayers. You may notice that I run down no-ones oil, and I only correct misconceptions about mine.
Now,the 41 race oil is used by many thousands of racers in Louisiana. It is used in many applications. Rather than get into the secrets we do not have on the ingredients, I can let you speak to some users, engine builders and some crew chiefs. If you e mail me, we can arrange. Or even better, give me your specific application, and I will put you in touch with someone that has a similar one.
Like I said,there are NO secrets at Royal Purple. This misconception comes about because one of our additives is Synerlec, a proprietary product. I do not know the chemistry, but it is a very high film-strength product that is not corrosive to the oil and engine.
I would be happy to help you in any way.

[ May 08, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: PRRPILL ]

PRRPILL - While we have your attention, I would like to ask a quick question about your non-racing motor oils. Some people have posted info that has given me the impression that a single synthetic oil could be rated for a number of viscosity ratings. Also, single grade synthetic oils are few and far between. Therefore, my question is: What are the differences, if any, between the single grade and multi-grade RP motor oils?

Thanks, DH

[ May 08, 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: DockHoliday ]

quote:

Originally posted by PRRPILL:
I am not trying to hide anything. RP is not trying to hide anything. I can send you the "Typicals" on our oil for you to compare your used samples to.

Why not just post your typical Virghin oil data here? I think that's the idea behind this BB, to share and discusss oil. Having the data to back up the talk, is just wise. Last report I bought, did not have a measurement of Synerlec, so I do not feel it's at risk here....

If you search here you will see the 3 VOA's I have paid for and posted in the last 6 months:
Valvoline VR-1 20W-50
Kendall GT-1 20W-50 Obsolete version
Brad Penn 20W-50

Patman posted a UOA on RP 41 in June of '03, but a VOA has never been provided. I think the Virgin data tells a great deal about the oil and let's one make an informed decision before running it. For example, I saw a few things in the Brad Pen 20W-50 that spooked me, so it came off my "try list", even with a Case in hand.

I have a case of Racing 41 right in frot of me, but have not decided to try it yet. I have Schaeffer's Micro Molly 40W in my 555cid engine now. Got to tell you, the purple bottle and oil does look great!
grin.gif
patriot.gif

BTW I'm a racer and just interested in the best oil value for my Dragster. I dump the oil after 20 to 25 runs. I'm not sponsored, so cost is always an issue. I run injected methanol and make around 1000hp, so I have to be careful of changes. 7.2's at 180+ in 1/4 mile.

Here you go.

“41” RACING OIL

TYPICAL PROPERTIES

ROYAL PURPLE SYNTHETIC “41” RACING OIL has a typical viscosity of a 10W40. It is designed for marine inboard, endurance car racing and street hot rod motors.

APPEARANCE Purple Liquid

VISCOSITY:
cSt @ 40C 83.4
cSt @ 100 C 14.9
VI 188

TBN: 10.0 min.

DENSITY:
Sp..Gr.@ 60/60F 0.869
API 31.3
lb./gal. 7.24

FOAM(D-892) SEQ II 0/0

These values are typical and may vary.

11/5/02

Dock Holliday, I have been trying to work out a reply. You have answered your own question. Single grades are just that.It is all temperature related. A single grade oil with a steeper VI, than the multi-grade oils. No VI improvers are added to make the single grades.Some Synthetic base oils have naturally high VI's and are termed"multi-grade". Most of the time,less VII additives makes for a more stable oil.Most multi-grades use the VI additives to get a less steep VI.
We make the single grades for our customers that want oils without VII's. A lot of my customers prefer it, especially for their 4 cycle air cooled equipment.

[ May 11, 2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: PRRPILL ]

So why wouldn't racers use straight weight oils? It would have less VI improvers and more lubricating properties, and more stable.

I have always understood that a multigrade oil flows like a light weight and protects like a heavy weight. Sounds like Muhamed Ali. Racers want the lowest weight oil for horsepower, with the highest amount of protection. So it is a balancing act that they play to find the perfect #. Shell has a full time analysis lab that trend metals for Ferrari at the Formula 1 races. They do not care about Vis, just metals. I understand that F1 cars consume about 5 liters per race. The oil in a race car is changed every race. They have no relationship to the oil in your car.

quote:

I realise that you want some reassurances that the oil will do what it is advertised to do. That is why we have Product liability insurance. The least it will do ,is protect as well as any other 10W-40.

IMHO, that is one, very honest, and to the point answer.

quote:

It can't be out of fear of some top secret formula cause anything can be copied these days.

As stated many times before, the purpose of a VOA is to compare it to a series of UOA's, prefereably at least three UOA's using the same type and weight of oil.

With the UOA's, one can see trending and how much of the additive reserves of the oil are left or being used.

Terry Dyson can help with an expert analysis.

VOA's reveal nothing about the total formulation; not the base oil(s), not the total additive package. Various organic friction modifiers which are ashless will not show up in the VOA's.

quote:

VOA's reveal nothing about the total formulation; not the base oil(s), not the total additive package. Various organic friction modifiers which are ashless will not show up in the VOA's.

Good point. Motorcraft/GC/Amsoil are 3 examples of anemic looking VOAS but 3 good oils.

What about iron and insolubles content. A VOA with high iron and other garbage is of interest. right?? I was thinking
rolleyes.gif
for a racing oil, the Calcium, Mag, Phos and Zinc levels and ratios also tell the potential user some details about the levels of ware vs cleaning protection.

A VOA of the # 41 will show Moly , over 2k ppm of zinc/phos , around 2200 ppm Calcium and TBN of 10-11 . It might use a tiny bit of magnesium , I can't remember .Thats if it has not been reformulated in the last two years .

I think this oil would be very streetable for those with the need but the way it's built sure seems a far different deal than the # 21 which looks like an all out race oil on paper and in comparison .

Hi Quick-16.
My point is that when you run a VOA it is ONLY for use against future UOA's of that product, same batch, and formulation. Save some and send it in when you send the UOA, for the lab to use as a reference. Then compare the UOA's to the reference (VOA).
We are not in the habit of putting iron in our oil, and as for garbage, well it's not in there either. We have the most extensive filtration setup at our factory, and our ISO 4406 numbers are the envy of many major players.
If you read the VOA's of our oil on this site, you will see.
Send me a pic of your ride. It sounds great.
Llew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back