18,000 RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching the Maylaysia Grand Prix, and the telemetry showed that the Ferraris tachs were hitting 18K. I was expecting they were around 13K. Are these extremely short stroke motors?

3.0L V-10, gasoline powered, normally aspirated no holds barred over-square designs, in the region of 900bhp. I'm not sure what the bore X stroke ratios are.

quote:

Originally posted by DockHoliday:
I was watching the Maylaysia Grand Prix, and the telemetry showed that the Ferraris tachs were hitting 18K.

Just wait till the Japan Grand Prix, the telemetry will show the toyotas and hondas hitting about 20k. I remember last year (or was it 2 years ago) that for one to just finish was like they won the race to the crowds!
wink.gif

I think the Williams BMW broke the 19K barrier last year. It is interesting to read on the F1 tech sites what the barriers are to further increases. They are beginning to have problems above 19K with getting the fuel to combust fast enough.

very short stroke. the Ferrari 2000 engine developed 806 h.p. @ 17,500 rpms,and 253 lb/ft of torque @ 15,500 rpms. The bore was 96mm (3.78") and the stroke was 41.4mm (1.63"). That engine redlines to 18,000 rpms. The engine can accelerates at 25,000 rpms per second. Cars weight, w/ driver, 1323 lbs. Interesting point, At midrange setting for drag, an F1 car at 200 mph, decelerates at 1.1G when they lift off the throttle only. That is equivalant to a Corvette Z06 at full ABS braking!
shocked.gif

I was AT the Malaysian GP. note to self.. next time bring ear plugs.. Anyway I think we would've seen slightly higher revs if it weren't for the new one-engine-per-weekend rule. To achieve such revs they use very short stroke, oversquare pistons. However the biggest hurdle is valvetrain and in this case they use pneumatic valve springs. No metal springs. The next step is camless valvetrain using eletromagnetic actuation which has been in development for a number of years. Imagine the infinite number of duration and lift possible.

Good circuit. Facilities are good. The view is excellent, depending what tickets you have. I would say it is a spectator oriented circuit. Have driven on the circuit myself and have to say it is very technical. Challenging as in you need to string several corners spot on to get good lap times. Downside is the circuit feels contrived and lacks character. Too perfect? However it's starting to develop bumps on some turns which is making things more interesting. Notice how during qualifying a few drivers struggled at the transition between turns 12 & 13 because of a bump. Sato and Alonso were casualties. Turn 14 is no consolation. Many drivers were drifting through turn 14. Nice to watch though.

18,19K rpm doesn't really seem that high to me. I've owned motorcycles that do 14K easily. Modern *production* motorcycles can do 16K+ all day long, until you get tired of putting gas in them. In the 60's, Honda had 6 cyl. 2 strokes hitting 22,000 rpm! Honda even had a production 250 4 stroke that would pull had a 22K rpm redline.

True, this is 3L and not 1L (the modern production bikes I spoke of), but those 1L bikes go for $14,000 and those F1 engines probably have pistons that go for more than that.

Very true and you can also say that your superbike will accelerate quicker than the McLaren F1 but the point is no other race car can push the kind of revs experienced in F1. In that respect F1 revs are a very big deal. That is the only way to extract more hp from F1 engines.

quote:

Originally posted by Jon:
18,19K rpm doesn't really seem that high to me. I've owned motorcycles that do 14K easily.

You need to figure stroke (piston speed) in before you compare how difficult it is to make an engine hang together at high revs.

devilgt, I agree with you on the F1 teams keeping the revs down for the one engine/weekend rule. I remember the 19000 rpms of last year. I've gone to each of the U.S. GP that have been held here in INDY. Quite an event. How did you like the Malaysian GP?

Don't know if they sell the Suzuki Across in the states, but we have a 250cc limit for learners and provisional riders. So the Across is available 250cc, 4 cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder, and peak power at 14,000 odd revs. Redline is about 3k beyond that I think.

It's funny with F1 that they were 3.5 litre N.A. then Renault chose the 1.5 turbo path, and were laughed at soon, everyone was doing it.(they later started the hydropneumatic valvetrain).

Concerns were raised at 1000hp racing trim cars, so they banned turbos, and went back to 3.5 N.A. Then 3.0 N.A.

And they're back at nearly 1000hp.

Re 6 cylinder two-strokes: these were 4-stroke Hondas, red line at 16000. The 5 cylinder 125cc engines and the twin cylinder 50cc 4 strokes revved even higher - to 22000 in the case of the 50. Mind you a dentists drill is even quicker.....

Jon; Honda didn't run two-stroke racers in the 60's. I know. I was there:) IoM 1967. Re 6 cylinder "two-strokes": these were 250 4-stroke Hondas, red line at 16-18000. The 5 cylinder 125cc engines and the twin cylinder 50cc 4 strokes revved higher - to the 22000 rpm you cite, in the case of the 50. Mind you a dentists drill is even quicker.....

Hi,

nortones2 - do you have one?

I had one about 1956 - a Mk2 I think - without the swinging arm rear
The big 500 single was a great machine but for a light guy like me it required a big jump up kick to start "her"

Regards
Doug
cheers.gif

Greetings Doug: past tense I'm afraid. Whats more, it was the Mk2, which was really a Matchless 500 single, in an AMC frame with Roadholder forks. Not like the proper Norton ES2! However, it was fun whilst at Uni. Had an exhaust valve lifter to ease over compression, but it still could kick back as the shins bore witness. Like you, I was light in those days (1970 -73), but cannot say that now! Pardon the earlier double post folks: gremlin wouldn't let me thru' first time!

Go to the "BMW V10 Engine" page, under the Team section. There's a Flash animation on that page. Click the speaker to turn the sound on. It's pretty loud already, though, so don't blast out your eardrums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back