Oil for a cammed 2.2L Honda engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just put a reground cam from delta in his 2.2L accord(F22A6). The ADVERTISED specs are a pretty beefy 272/272 duration and .425/.425 lift. He's got an aftermarket intake and 2.25" exhaust with a flowmaster 60 series muffler on it too. Up until now, he has been using Mobil1 10w30 in his engine. I am thinking that maybee he should kick it up a notch. We can get any royal purple or redline oil product at summit racing(there pretty much every week). Would going with one of those brands in possibly a different weight be better for that engine?

--Matt

Anyone? I'm thinking this car should at least stick with a synthetic. But maybee a 40wt would be better.

--Matt

The M1 10W30 is hard to beat and you can get it right off the shelf. Trying one of the other oils would be fun but there is no need to go up in weight unless it is staring to use oil.

Nope, he's still on stock valve springs with no problems. Valve chatter is minimal, just margianlly more than it was with the old cam.

And what kinds of mods have you worked with on the F22A6?

--Matt

[ March 12, 2004, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

Well, he put the M1 15w50 in there on friday. No problems whatsoever. Even starting up at 20 degrees was no problem. We'll try to get a UOA on it.

--Matt

so how do you think Delvac 1300 Super in a 15w40 would fair in this engine for the summer? I had great luck with it in my saturn.

--Matt

Although imo Delo and Pennzoil are better the heavy duty are hard to beat when it comes to protecting the engine.

Still running the M1 15w50. The engine's oil consumption has stopped entirely! We should have the car on the bottle(75hp direct port) as well as have an H22 5-speed tranny with an LSD on the car in the next month or 2. The gearing on the H22 transmission is a bit better with the new power curve. 14's should be within reach soon...but we don't really know how much HP the car has. My guess is that with the intake/exhaust and the cam it should be in the 160-170hp range from the stock 140hp.

--Matt

I would guess in comparing the oils they would be so close they would be equal overall. The individual oils have their good points. The M1 is hard to beat.

Go to www.avlube.com and order this. An excellent choice. It's Mobil 1 with tons of ZDDP. No reason to run a 50wt oil in that car at all.

-

Hmm, we may look into that. He's really happy with the 15w50 tho. I'm trying to talk him into at least a 5w40 like D1 or something tho.

--Matt

Well, changed oil again today. We decided against a 0w since this engine is kind of old and likes to drink light oil, as well as leak it. So we went with 3qt of M1 10w30 and 1qt M1 15w50. Car seems to idle a bit smoother, althought it may just be in our heads. Otherwise, power seems to be up. I'm imagining mileage will be as well.

But this engine is going to get replaced with an H22a very soon.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:

So we went with 3qt of M1 10w30 and 1qt M1 15w50. Car seems to idle a bit smoother, althought it may just be in our heads. Otherwise, power seems to be up.

--Matt

I'm quite sure power is up and the running smoother is not in your heads
wink.gif

Have you visually inspected the cams to see how well they are being protected ? Any signs of the springs not being able to control the valve because of the higher lobe intensity ?

We were going to replace the springs with stonger H22 springs, but the stockers appear to be doing a fine job. There is a small amount of chatter, but it's really nothing to be worried about.

--Matt

Honda Formula 1 engineers chose Mobil 1 5w30 for their 16,000 rpm racing engine. That was in about 1996. People forget that light oil cools better and the best preformance comes from as light an oil as possibly that will keep the bearings fully supplied always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back