Good cheap cold weather oil for racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I participate in ice races. Typically the events are at 0 F to 35 F in temperature. Does anyone know of an inexpensive oil that will stand up and protect well against high revving abuse in cold weather. I was thinking the Rotella T or Delvac 1/SUV.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:
I participate in ice races. Typically the events are at 0 F to 35 F in temperature. Does anyone know of an inexpensive oil that will stand up and protect well against high revving abuse in cold weather. I was thinking the Rotella T or Delvac 1/SUV.

I've used Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 down to 0F in my 1500 Chevy (4.3L), and although cranking speed was slower, I had absolutely no "lack of oil" startup noise, which shows me, that although the oil was quite thick, it still was protecting the engine quite well on startup.

I believe a 15w-40 HDEO with better cold-temp properties would perform great in this application...I recommend Delvac 1300.

Only problem is there are times where the high is 0F and the lows in the evening are -10 to -20. I leave for the events quite early in the morning, so it's still around -15 or so when the car is started first.

I think what I am going to end up doing is run an autoRX treatment and see if that helps my ticking lifters (chronic problem on my engine). If it does fix it I'll probably run extended intervals (well, extended for me at least) of M1 SUV/Delvac 1.

ah, should have been a little more clear.

By the time the events start, it's at least 0, but it can potentially be as cold as -20F when I start the car.

Call an oil jobber .Look in the telephone book for one. My favorite are delo 400 and pennzoil longlife .10w/30 heavy duty oils are available.
burnout.gif
How about Rotella 05/w40 synthetis oil @ Walmart?

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:
Only problem is there are times where the high is 0F and the lows in the evening are -10 to -20. I leave for the events quite early in the morning, so it's still around -15 or so when the car is started first.

Thomas, You should consder an ele heater and tarps to get it warm before you start. If it water cooled it's easy as pie. Just a thought.
tongue.gif

electric heaters and tarps might be kinda awkwars where I plan to store it. I usually store it on the street at a friends house or in a friends barn.

How about the Ford 5w-20 oil? Anyone think that might be worth a shot?

Thomas,

You've combined two things that are mutually exclusive.....

You can not use 'cheap' and 'racing' in the same sentence and be grammatically correct. There is nothing EVER cheap about any form of racing, no matter how inexpensive it initially may appear.

Keep the shiney side up!

Ciao

quote:

Originally posted by davidc:
Thomas,

You've combined two things that are mutually exclusive.....

You can not use 'cheap' and 'racing' in the same sentence and be grammatically correct. There is nothing EVER cheap about any form of racing, no matter how inexpensive it initially may appear.

Keep the shiney side up!

Ciao

I guess that's why I've been able to do full seasons (up to 30 events) of racing for the past 4 years on a high school/college student budget.
rolleyes.gif

BTW, I've settled on Rotella T "synthetic" 5w-40. Unless there is a very good reason as to why I shouldn't use that or to use something else, then nothing else needs to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back