Hey Hey we have a place to chat OIL and shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mark... I really appreciate you and the rest of the BOBISTHEOILGUY BB team for responding to my request for this area and sure hope it's participation proves its suggested need.

The idea here is: OEM engines and oil needs normally do not get tested to the same limits like a racing engine with 2 to 3 times the force involved on the lubricated surfaces. It's just a different problem to study and learn about.

I have just sent VOM and UOA samples to Blackstone and Terry and will share that data with this topic soon. I hope other will open up and share as well. If you have VOM or UOA please post it here. This will only work for the benefit of us all if we all take that open and sharing approach. If will all participate with that sharing approach this will be a great deal of fun. Please try your best. I know many of you have learned many things the hard way and will not want to share, but this is a direct request to you to share and help us all learn to be our best.

Great, now I just need a race car.
frown.gif

Sorry, will be interesting to see your data. Thanks!

I treat my car like one, does that count?
grin.gif

burnout.gif

[ March 04, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

I own, race and operate a 2000 J Ed Horton 230" wb Dragster. Home built 555cid methanol injected, 14.4:1CR BBC. 1/4 mile racing. 4.3:1 rear, Home Built Glide, 6200 stall Coan 9". Borla Down-swept Muffler headers. Runs 7.5's at 175 on HP and 7.2's+ @ 182 with small plate NOS (175hp) for 4sec. Lots of fun for sure. Pulls 3.5 g's on launch. I race a local Quick 16 class here at Moroso in West Palm but also the SP bracket class and S/C (8.90) when I can. This year I have been racing 2 to 3 time a month.

Recently was forced to swap RACE oils because the last of my Kendall GT-1 20W-50 oil is gone and that Kendall oil is now obsolete. Through reading and chatting here as well as local availability, I went to Valvoline VR-1 20W-50. So far so good, but I can't wait to see the oil test results to see how these samples compare. My engine main and rod journal are pretty large and I run a Hi Volume pump. A wet sump oil system like a car but with large kick out pan and other little extras. I like to see the oil pressure no less that 60psi on a pass as seen from a on board data collector and viewed after a pass. Of course when I start going rounds, that 50 weight is important as it helps out with this configuration and the raised oil temp. Oil temp can be between 140F and 210F. I preheat the engine before running using up north style block heaters in the block freeze plugs. I have a pan heater when it's really cold. I also have a 3qt accumulator that helps when and if there are oiling issues under the G force on a pass and for pre-lube on start.

Here's alink to my local race track:
local 1/4 mile track

So what do you have?

[ March 05, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: quick_16 ]

I do about 23-27 SCCA solo II events a year. Currently my car is a G Stock 1985 Nissan 300zx (VG30e engine. Found in many Nissan cars, trucks and vans. Nissan stopped using this engine around 2002) that is preped to the limits of the class. The car is driving to and from events. I also do ice racing during the winter months here in Wisconsin. I'm still trying to find a good oil for that (I'll probably do the Rotella T thing).

I used to run VR1 20w-50, but have recently switched to Delvac 1300. I used to run Motorcraft FL-1a filters, but recently switched to PF2's. I'll run that for a while and during the summer I'll be able to get a good UOA of it. I may or may not be moving to a shifter kart, which of course, would make UOA's unattainable.

i own a 1969 firebird doorslammer. it has a 605 cid with pontiac big chief heads, running 15:1 cr. dyno'd at 1020 hp. i am still using a th400 with a custom 5400 stall converter with 4.11 gears. i have not made it to the track with this new combo. i am hoping to be somewhere in the low 8's on just motor. the fastest we went in this car (different motor) was 9.30's. it left hard and straight, so i feel it should be able to handle the extra power. i hope to get a couple of shake down runs in when the track opens in april.

i think you will like the VR-1 oil. my buddy uses it in his 2000+ horsepower mountain motors and he has had great results.

quote:

Originally posted by gus:
i own a 1969 firebird doorslammer. it has a 605 cid with pontiac big chief heads, running 15:1 cr. dyno'd at 1020 hp. i am still using a th400 with a custom 5400 stall converter with 4.11 gears. i have not made it to the track with this new combo. i am hoping to be somewhere in the low 8's on just motor. the fastest we went in this car (different motor) was 9.30's. it left hard and straight, so i feel it should be able to handle the extra power. i hope to get a couple of shake down runs in when the track opens in april.

i think you will like the VR-1 oil. my buddy uses it in his 2000+ horsepower mountain motors and he has had great results.

Hey gus, what oil will you be using in your new engine? Do you or your friends use any additives to the oil? 1000 hp ye ha!!!! Hope you got good hard parts in that TH and rear end.

We are not allowed to post the RACE oil VOA and UOA date here as I have now been told.

the trans and rearend have been rebuilt since we upgraded the engine. a buddy of mine owns a trans shop. it should be able to handle approx. 1500 hp. who knows, maybe i'll add a 400 shot one day..
wink.gif

we broke the engine in on 40wt dino oil. i will be trying RP 41 in the new engine. i know some guys running RP21 and have had great results with it. i don't think anybody around here uses any additives. i don't even pre-heat, we fire it up in the pits and drive it to the staging area. i am also using a three quart accumulator for added protection and as a pre-lube.

[ March 06, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: gus ]

That should be a lot of fun you will what the hp adder after a few lick so just install it now. lol

did you see the link I added to the rp...

I have to call Blackstone labs and find out what they did with my UOA on my Kendall. I paid for a dyson review and just paid terry some more $'s to look at 2 of the VOA. Gone nuts I have.......
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

[ March 07, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: quick_16 ]

i'm running a sheetmetal intake that is already tapped for nawz (as the young kids call it..
rolleyes.gif
) we'll have to see how the car performs before we add more power to it.

i checked out the link to your local track. if i could race year round, i would really be broke...ha-ha-ha...

quote:

Originally posted by gus:
i'm running a sheetmetal intake that is already tapped for nawz (as the young kids call it..
rolleyes.gif
) we'll have to see how the car performs before we add more power to it.

i checked out the link to your local track. if i could race year round, i would really be broke...ha-ha-ha...

Hey gus, buy a beater and go ice racing! Just don't race with WAG in my opinion

maybe i'm not as smart as i know i am, what does WAG mean ???????

as for ice racing....i do that on the dan ryan expressway all winter long...
wink.gif

[ March 08, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: gus ]

Wisconsin Autosports Group. IMO, they are worthless. In my 3 races with them (2 on ice, 1 on dirt) I never had a positive experience. All three of them had massive safety concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back