Zerex G-05 (gold bottle) pre-dilluted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the back of a Zerex G-05 bottle that I purchased for my 2006 Power-Stroke Diesel, and in the ingredients section it lists water as the 2nd ingredient (Water 7732-18-5)... does this mean it's already pre-dilluted?

Also, my 2005 Mazda 3 came with the "green stuff" in it from factory, and from what I understand G-05 is a good replacement for the "green stuff" so long as all the green gets flushed out. Am I correct in assuming the G-05 would be a step-up from the standard green? All my manual says is to use an Ethylene Glycol based coolant... it doesn't list any specs.

Thanks in advance!!

I don't have my jug of Zerex G-05 in front of me. I'd say one clue is to read the directions for mixing and look at the temperature protection chart. This will give you a clue. I'm guessing you have the regular stuff, and not 50-50 premix.

You should be just fine with Zerex G-05 in your Mazda. Your manual says it's okay. And yes, it's a step up.

Well, when I compare this bottle of Zerex G-05 to the bottle of Prestone All-Makes All-Models (predilluted), the ingredients of Ethylene Glycol and Water are in the same amounts.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sdude2k2000:
I was reading the back of a Zerex G-05 bottle ... and in the ingredients section it lists water as the 2nd ingredient (Water 7732-18-5)... does this mean it's already pre-dilluted?

In full-strength antifreeze, about 2% by volume de-ionized water is added for solubility of the corrosion inhibitors.

The jug of G-05 I have on hand lists the ingredients and their CAS #s, but no amounts. sdude2K2000, what is the amount of water indicated on your jug of G-05?

zerex g05

It appears from the web site that the 50/50 mix product would be labeled "Ready to Use."

Or, better yet, check your UPC code against this. (again from the web site):
Sizes and Grades

Name G-05 Antifreeze/Coolant
Size 1-Gal
Part ZXG051
UPC 28882-50143

Name G-05 Ready-to-Use Antifreeze/Coolant
Size 1-Gal
Part ZXG05RU1
UPC 28882-50127

I have a fresh bottle of Zerex G-05 right here, UPC 28882 50143, and I see no indication that it is pre-mix, and it does give dilution ratios on the back. Plus it seems hella thick pouring out of the bottle to be premix.

I think a couple percent water is often added to 'undiluted' antifreeze so it doesn't freeze up in the bottle in say a cold garage. (that wouldn't seem like a good selling point!) although we know it is undiluted, the normal consumer might consider a frozen bottle of antifreeze a turn off.

When listing the ingredients, it lists them like this:

Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1) , Water (7732-18-5) , Diethylene Glycol (11-46-6) , Sodium Tetraborate (1303-96-4) , Sodium Benzoate (532-32-1) , Corrosion Inhibitor , Defoamers and Dyes .

The numbers that follow the ingredients... are those "quantity" numbers?

I find it hard to believe that it doesn't say on the container whether its a coolant concentrate or a ready-to-use premix.
wink.gif

Well, I would say that the fact that it does not say it is pre-mix and it does list dilution ratios would, by a preponderance of the evidence [sorry I watch Law&Order way too much
smile.gif
], tend to indicate that it is not pre-mix.

All the pre-mix I've seen all say 'ready to use' in big letter on the front.

Oh yeah, I missed that the container listed ratios. That's definitely an indicator of it being a coolant concentrate. Who wants to schlepp premixed fluids? I don't understand why most washer fluid is sold premixed either. I just buy a small bottle of concentrate, which is much more convenient and less wasteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back