Red Line Water Wetter

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the people who are using Motormax, do you use it with 50/50 coolant/water? Have you had any precipitation issues with it?

Yes, I use it with a 50/50 mix. No, I haven't had any precipitation issues. Motormax looks so clear and thin that I wouldn't expect that to happen.

I haven't either, and i also use a 50-50 mix. I could probably go to a higher water mix, since i live in FL and don't need the freeze protection.

true, remember, water does the cooling maybe you can go to a 70% water and 30% coolant...i do add water wetter and bg's super cool for all the additives....also i use zerex g-05

You need a certain percent of antifreeze to get adequate corrosion protection and protection from boilover. I think that the minimum percent of antifreeze might be above 30% and is usually stated on the back of the jugs of antifreeze.

I have Redline Water Wetter in my '81 vette in the past. I had no problems using it and it worked as advertised for me. It reduced the cooling temps about 15 deg F.

I live in a warm climate that does not get close to freezing. Can I safely use distilled water and WW in my cooling systems?

quote:

Originally posted by fast4d:
I live in a warm climate that does not get close to freezing. Can I safely use distilled water and WW in my cooling systems?

No! Use a 70/30 water/coolant mix and then maybe throw in some Water Wetter...

You can't do straight water!

I've had no problems with WW and EG green coolant. After reading info here on RMI-25, I have used that for a cleaning (then drain/flush) and corrosion prevention (added to new coolant) with no WW this last change.

I run about 25-30% A/F here in CA. The WW may have made a slight difference, but I can't be sure. It sure didn't hurt anything and I didn't get any black deposits.

As much as I love Redline products, I stopped using Water Wetter.

I used Texaco Havoline Dex Cool, distilled water, and Water Wetter in a nmber of vehicles that had been flushed repeatedly.

Every vehicle had the mud show up in the overflow tank. This was not what I was looking for.

I suspect that the combination of Water Wetter and Texaco Havoline Dex Cool was a bad one. I quit using both products.

I switched to Zerex G05 anmd distilled water and no additives.

I'd still like to believe that Water Wetter would work fine with the G05, or that there is some magic additive that would improve cooling...but I haven't made the leap.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
As much as I love Redline products, I stopped using Water Wetter.

I used Texaco Havoline Dex Cool, distilled water, and Water Wetter in a nmber of vehicles that had been flushed repeatedly.

Every vehicle had the mud show up in the overflow tank. This was not what I was looking for.

I suspect that the combination of Water Wetter and Texaco Havoline Dex Cool was a bad one. I quit using both products.

I switched to Zerex G05 anmd distilled water and no additives.

I'd still like to believe that Water Wetter would work fine with the G05, or that there is some magic additive that would improve cooling...but I haven't made the leap.

Diesel engine water wetter doesn't have anti-corrosion additives so is less likely to not play nice with coolant anti-corrosion additives.

quote:

Diesel engine water wetter doesn't have anti-corrosion additives so is less likely to not play nice with coolant anti-corrosion additives.
I've read this before... but once burned
grin.gif

I still might give it a try, I also wonder about Motormax
dunno.gif

I don't understand these "water wetter" type claims.

I can understand a wetting agent to improve contact between the coolant and the metal...no problems.

But if you see a reduction in coolant temperature coming out of the engine (for a given inlet temperature), there's lease heat being shifted.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
I don't understand these "water wetter" type claims.

I can understand a wetting agent to improve contact between the coolant and the metal...no problems.

But if you see a reduction in coolant temperature coming out of the engine (for a given inlet temperature), there's lease heat being shifted.

The coolant is cooler coming out of the engine because the temperature of the coolant going into the engine was reduced because of the better tranfer at the coolant radiator interface.

The heat being transfered is still about the same, it's just being done with a lower delta T between the engine and coolant. Also between the coolant and radiator.

I saw some data on it years ago from ago from a military (TACOM) evaluation of it. It performed about as claimed.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i use zerex g-05 40/60 distilled and water wetter and a bottle of bg's super cool..in my fords...and no precipatate

That makes me feel a little better.

I'm trying to figure out what to put into the cooling systems of our Hondas (CRX and Civic). And Zerex G-05 looks decent, and seems (at least by the stuff I've been able to locate on the web) to be compatible with the Hondas I own. So, unless I hear about something better, I was thinking of going with the G-05 (and distilled water).

However, I just got done buying a couple of bottles of "Water Wetter" (i.e. the WW is now a "sunk cost"), before I heard about the sludge problem (when you combine WW with some antifreezes). If the WW will help (even a little) without causing problems, I'll go ahead and use it (after all, it is already paid for), during the next coolant change. However, I really don't want to risk WW actually working against me (and causing the coolant to work worse, possibly producing sludge)...

Hmmm... I suppose I could get a partial answer by mixing up some G-05, some distilled water, and some WW, in a clear jug, and waiting to see what (if anything) happens with the mix. If anything settles out of that, I obviously don't want to do that "for real" (i.e. if it is bad when just mixing alone, don't let it near your car). Of course, for a real decent test, I would have to heat the mixture (in an old pan?), to see if there was any problem when the stuff got hotter (as it clearly would get hotter while doing its job as a coolant mix)...

I wonder if WW doesn't clean stuff from the block, heads, and radiator and especially gaskets since it is a surfactant.

WW and Havoline Dex cool was a very bad combination in mny vehicles.

Have had outstanding results over the last 9-11? years running WW with prestone dexcool and distilled water in various domestic and japanese imports.These vehicles are operated in AZ and IL year round with the AZ vehicles running a higher distilled water %(60)vs. 50% in IL.This is an aggressive combination in terms of any pre-existing deposit formations so I would not recommend it as a first change if system has not been well maintained previously.I have also used WW with HONDA Type 1 and Type 2 with similiar results and so far for 10 months with GA05 in one vehicle.The only shortcoming of this product is the need to renew every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back