Japanese coolant - are they all the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know - the stuff I drained from my '99 Maxima was clean as new too. supposedly had 75k miles on it. and the radiator looks shiny and new inside. not sure if there's a way to tell if coolant is "bad" - pH test? in any case, I'd say Japanese coolant is some good stuff.

The pH test works with U.S. antifreeze of the older formulations...around 9.0 to 10.5. Many modern formulations and the Japanese antifreezes are around pH 7.

What does work to determine the state of the corrosion inhibitors is to use a voltmeter. Put one probe in the cool coolant in the radiator neck--don't touch metal. Put the other probe on the negative battery post. If you measure 0.1 volts DC, you're good. If you measure 0.3 to 0.4 volts, it is time to renew the coolant. The voltage is being generated by galvanic corrosion in the engine.

Ken

The explanation I got at the Toyota dealer was that the pink is just the diluted form that will go in without mixing with water. Their profit was even higher selling the diluted Toyota Red Pre-mixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back