10-W30 Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also using Castrol Syntec in my 328i.
I ran 5w30 in summer with no noise,usage etc.
I use it because of the recomendation by BMW.
I will be using the 10w30 or a 50/50 mix of
10w30 and 5w50 this summer though. I understand
that A-3 rated oils like BMW High Performance
5w30 and Amsoil are thicker in weight(near 40 wt)
I might just go with the 5w50. I only put about
8000 km (5000 mi) in a year. I was thinking
about Mobil 1 but all the negative things I keep seeing on this site about start-up noise,high iron etc. just doesn't appeal to me. Who cares
about pour point, cold cranking etc. I care about the additive package, TBN, less wear in
my BMW. Castrol is a very good oil using 99.9% pure hydro treated/cracked base with esters that
bond to engine parts and has been silky smooth
in my engine.
cheers.gif

I see very good oil analysis results with the PetroCanada built USA marketed Syntec "full synthetic" oils.

My favorite is the Castrol RS 10w-50 that Ken 4 has posted here from his toyota. But unless you live in that market you can't get it.

I also see good results with cheaper blends that cost $2 a qt less like Schaeffers 7000.

If Castrol would be a bit more forthcoming about the oils and price them accordingly they would garner much more North American market share.

Yes Pat ( I'm answering you before you ask
shocked.gif
) it is my understanding that PC group II and III base oils are used for the Syntec brand in the USA. The HT base oils are used by Castrol Syntec as a major contract with Castrol USA, I thought that was common knowledge here at BITOG.

Maybe thats changed recently but I have not been made aware of that.

[ January 07, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
I see very good oil analysis results with the PetroCanada built USA marketed Syntec "full synthetic" oils.

Petro Canada built? Please elaborate Terry, I had no idea PC was involved in the making of Syntec.

Terry. Here in Canada, Castrol does cost less
than Amsoil ($9.10 cdn.), Mobil 1 ($7.25).
Blends are $4.00/litre. I just bought 5w50
syntec for $6.00/litre. All I'm saying is if
Amsoil is the best synthetic or one of the top
in the world, why is it over $2.00 more per bottle vs Mobil 1. Is it the additive package being better than Mobil 1? Why do people complain about Mobil1? Are we paying for the PAO and a avg. additive package?
smile.gif
Is Castrol Syntec price based
on a Group III/ester base oil and a great additive package?

That's it 2kbmw, I think with Castrol you're are getting a GpIII with a great additive package.

M1 is better base stock, but wants to keep a competitive price.

I don't do extended drains. I think Casrol actually has better cold starts and better performance than M1.

I use both and I like both.

M1 has not gotten more expensive here too.

2KBMW you are asking me marketing and opinion questions which I can't answer scientifically.

M1 in NA has been reformulated at least 3 times in the last 2 years so that may help you judge their commitment to quality or being caught underformulating.

Amsoil is company that has been run almost totally by one guy and I can't answer his pricing reasoning or his formulating theories. Canada can be a real pain in the rear for a smaller corporation to do business in if you are a Amsoil or smaller company.

As far as formulation and cost the Castrol SYNTEC IMHO is being priced above its fair cost basis and should be more equally priced with the blends you quote.

Bottom line............ Use analysis results to determine which oil works best for your BMW regardless of price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back