Zerex G-05 As A Dex-Cool Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Chevrolet ZR2 Blazer with a 4.3L V6 that uses Dex-Cool. I have kept my eye on the coolant level at all times to hopefully avoid the mud Dex-Cool would create if it went too low.

Just the fact that it will start turning into mud if it is low not only greatly worries me but is not acceptable. Antifreeze/Coolant should remain in a liquid form at all times in my opinion.

I am going to flush the Dex-Cool out by using a back flushing kit and a heavy duty chemical flush that you run with water for 6 hours. I am going to do this 3 times to be absolutely and hopefully sure I get all the Dex-Cool and its residue out of my Blazer.

I don't want to use old green since it is slowly being phased out (Prestone no longer sells it to the general public in stores anymore as far as I can tell).

I think it would be safe to use Zerex G-05 in my GM vehicle. Any thoughts?

Thanks In Advance,
BTJustice

quote:

Buford T. Justice:
...... I think it would be safe to use Zerex G-05 in my GM vehicle. Any thoughts? .....

G-05 should work fine.

There's really nothing wrong with DexCool, but it doesn't handle leaks or low levels well.

G-05 contains a moderate level of silicate and has worked well in Mercedes for many years.

I've used the Prestone version of 5/150 orange stuff for years in my 96 Cherokee, and haven't seen any mud or anything else except orange coolant. Have you tried that?
But I agree the Zerex should be fine.

I would advise to do a citric acid flush before and inbetween G-05 changes. Reccomended in the MB circles, and has allowed me to keep my 83 300D's original radiator since new (I didnt buy it new, but I have all the papers and it wasnt replaced).

JMH

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone had problems with Dex-Cool turning into mud?

I think G-05 is the way to go. From my research, it appears to be superior to Dex-Cool.

Thanks,
BTJustice

The waterpump started leaking in my '99 GMC Sonoma 4.3L two years ago. I caught it in time, but there was some reddish buildup around the radiator filler neck. I guess the coolant level drew down enough for air to get into the top of the radiator. I replaced with G-05 and have been happy so far. The only issue is that it's hard to see the coolant level in the expansion tank given G-05's light yellow color.

quote:

Originally posted by nel:
The waterpump started leaking in my '99 GMC Sonoma 4.3L two years ago. I caught it in time, but there was some reddish buildup around the radiator filler neck. I guess the coolant level drew down enough for air to get into the top of the radiator. I replaced with G-05 and have been happy so far. The only issue is that it's hard to see the coolant level in the expansion tank given G-05's light yellow color.

Mopar's G 05 (its the 5/100 formual from Mopar) and Ford's G 05 (the motorcraft gold coolant) formula are both dyed, with the Mopar formula being more orange/red versus Ford's yellow/gold. The zerex G 05 I used a couple months back was completely clear; I guess they are starting to make it a faint yellow, but still too light in my eyes.

I just got my Blazer the Thursday before last. I had to go to the service dept. where I bought it to get the fuel pump replaced. While I was there, I asked one of the service managers if he had heard or seen any problems with Dex-Cool. He said no and I told him about researching Dex-Cool and learning that it can turn into mud if the cooling system gets air into it. He said sure it would since there would probably be a leak and any coolant will do that.

Is that true? I have no idea what to do now. The choice is either red mud or yellow **** .

BTJustice

I wonder if the Dex-Cool mud is related to older GMs that first started getting Dex-Cool when GM still added stop leak or whatever they called it to the coolant at the factory?

If that is the case, then the Dex-Cool in 2000 to current GM vehicles will not turn to mud correct?

At any rate, I think I will still probably use Zerex G-05. I have yet to hear anything bad about it.

BTJustice

I am having a heck of a time finding Zerex G-05. Wal-Mart, Kmart, Autozone, Meijer, and others don't carry it. A local Farm & Home Supply store does, but their bottles are old. Another Farm & Home Supply was out so I wonder if they are getting the new designed bottles of G-05 as seen on the Zerex website. I heard the G-05 in the new bottles is dyed a brighter yellow and is easier to see.

BTJustice

You should be able to get it at a Ford dealer as Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant, part number VC-7-A -- who knows how much they'll want for it though. Then again, they might be reasonable.

Zerex Conventional Green 5/100
Zerex G-05
Zerex Dex-Cool

I poured some Zerex G-05 out in a store onto a white napkin. That stuff is as clear as water (older bottle, not new bottle as seen on Zerex website). How can it be useful if it is that clear? There has to be some color it could be dyed to that would be much easier to see and hasn't been used yet, lol.

At any rate, I think I am going to stick with Dex-Cool for now. Perhaps GM will switch to G-05 or something else, or, maybe, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Dex-Cool as long as it doesn't run low.

I think Zerex Conventional Green 5/100 would be safe to use as both a Dex-Cool & G-05 replacement.

It is interesting to note that Zerex G-05 contains more silicates than Zerex Conventional Green 5/100 & the 5/100 has no phosphates whereas G-05 does...

http://tinyurl.com/6q5zs
http://tinyurl.com/5mmw2

It is also interesting to note that Zerex G-05 contains the same amount of phosphates as Zerex Dex-Cool contains. Zerex Dex-Cool has 10 PPM max of silicates whereas G-05 has 252-308 PPM max of silicates...

http://tinyurl.com/5mmw2
http://tinyurl.com/47ngy

All 3 received the same results on the water pump test.

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4X4 ZR2, my Mom has a 2004 Chevy Blazer 4X4, and my Dad has a 2003 Chevy S-10. All of these have the 4.3L V6 and use Dex-Cool. Mine has what appears to be dried coolant around the mouth of the radiator and on the radiator cap, my Mom's was just fine, but my Dad's was low on Dex-Cool and is starting to develop an extremely lite layer of 'mud' inside the throat of the radiator and on the cap. It can easily be cleaned and topped off I think.

I would still like to know what the exact chemical reaction is when Dex-Cool runs low and starts developing 'mud'. Apparently Zerex Conventional Green 5/100 & Zerex G-05 don't do this.

BTJustice

carquest and orielys carry the zerex. I personaly own a 2000 tahoe with the factory fill of dexcool, when it hits 100k ill put the zerex in. GM may have changed the dexcool but ive personaly seen so much of the bad stuff(master certified tech for last 18 years) i dont want it in my car to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back